West Face via Silver Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.46590°N / 118.9087°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The base of this quick climb begins at Silver Pass(as does the "time required" above, the entire route could last anywhere from 1 long day to a multi-day trek). The pass can be reached via various trailheads, most commonly from Lake Thomas Edison on the West side of the Sierras. From Lake Thomas Edison hike around the North side of the lake then follow the JMT/PCT North to Silver Pass. From Lake Thomas Edison one can also head up over Goodale Pass then loop back to Silver Pass, making a nice loop hike. The Pass can also be approached by heading South on the JMT/PCT from Mammoth or from McGee Creek by heading over McGee Pass. Follow the road directions on the main page.

Route Description


From Silver Pass(which is NOT the low point of the divide) head due west along the ridge line. Stay near the top if not slightly North of the ridge top. After passing two small bumps the wide open sandy West face presents itself. During the summer use trails can sometimes be seen at the base in the sand, though when you begin heading up there is no trail to follow. One can choose pretty much any path up the face. The summit block is a large pointed rock that overhangs the sheer North face(as seen in the picture).

Essential Gear


During the summer only a nice sturdy pair of boots/shoes are needed. Spring and Fall may require an ice axe and crampons depending on snow conditions. Winter would require the full gamut of gear, and most likely skis for the approach.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.