West Ridge Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99900°N / 106.828°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route heads up the west ridge of this peak from just south of Montezuma Basin. You can either park at Castle Creek or continue up to the huts and park you vehicle off the road. From here, instead of following the split in the road right, as if you were going to climb Castle, turn left and follow the road as it winds up into a basin towards a low ridge. From here you'll end up a couple hundred yards from the ridge which heads to the summit. Gain the ridge and continue the final half mile of a class 2 scramble. The route is not marked so pick your steps wisely because this can easily become class 3+ if you stray from the ridge. Views from the top of this peak are wonderful and include almost all the Elk Range fourteeners with a great view of Castle Peak.

Essential Gear


Comfortable shoes, food/water, trekking poles and a camera.
In winter conditions you'll need an ice axe and crampoons so check the weather before you head out.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 8, 2010 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

West Ridge Route

Hello, I've added a couple pictures to your West Ridge route page for Greg Mace peak that I feel illustrate the loose crumbly crud-factor a climber experiences on this ridge toward the summit. Cheers! Sarah

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.