Where it is hidden the gold on the Aosta Valley mountains?

Where it is hidden the gold on the Aosta Valley mountains?

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Scrambling

Golden Overview



If you come from the Klondike this story may be of interest to you. Otherwise no. In fact you have to a passion for gold panning, as for the ancient Seekers.
Even in ancient times in Aosta Valley this happened starting from Salassians and then with the arrival of the Romans. But we proceed with calm and in the right chronological order, if we want to have clear ideas about that very affair. The story begins in the mists of time, when passing from Paleolithic to the Neolithic men to survive and improve their lives had passed from the iron and copper in the search of the most precious minerals, or the silver & gold. So with a "digression" quick pass from the iron mines (precious loadstone or magnetite) of Coing or Conia (now Cogne) to those of Servette equally ancient copper in the Valley of St. Marcel. Iron "traveling" not towards the valley floor but with the magisterial wheelwright roads that reached, passing on those who still call themselves Côte Piemont, the adjacent of the Piedmont Region through the Acque Rosse, Arietta and Scaletta Passes until Ĕpŏrĕdia (Ivrea) and Augusta Julia Taurinorum (Turin). A part instead, along with the most precious minerals that were processed at Pont d'Ael and transported nearby the castle of Chatel Argent, down to Augusta Praetoria Salassorum (Aosta) and then take the Consular Road to Rome and Empire.
What happened in ancient times ...



Se venite dal Klondike questa storia vi può interessare. Altrimenti no. Infatti bisogna avare la passione per la ricerca dell'oro, come per gli antichi Cercatori.
Nei tempi passati anche in valle di Aosta ciò avveniva iniziando dai Salassi e poi con l'arrivo dei Romani. Ma procediamo con calma e nell'ordine cronologico, se vogliamo avere ben chiare le idee a tal proposito. La storia inizia nella notte dei tempi, quando passando dal Paleolitico al Neolitico gli uomini per sopravvivere e migliorare la loro esistenza erano passati dalla ricerca del ferro e rame a quella dei minerali più preziosi, ovvero l'argento e l'oro. Così con un "excursus" rapido passiamo dalle miniere di ferro (pregiata magnetite) di Coing o Conia (l'attuale Cogne) a quelle di rame altrettanto antiche di Servette nel Vallone di St. Marcel. Il ferro "viaggiava" non verso il fondovalle ma con delle magistrali strade carraie che raggiungevano, passando su quelle che ancora oggi si chiamano Côte Piemont, l'adiacente Regione del Piemonte tramite i Colli d'Acque Rosse, Arietta e della Bocchetta della Scaletta fino ad Ĕpŏrĕdia (Ivrea) ed Augusta Julia Taurinorum (Torino). Una parte invece, insieme ai minerali più preziosi che venivano lavorati a Pont d'Ael e trasportati in quel del castello di Chatel Argent, scendeva ad Augusta Praetoria Salassorum (Aosta) per poi prendere la Strada Consolare per Roma e l'Impero.
Così avveniva nei tempi remoti ...





Gold or Silver ?



From Conia Ironmines to reach those "Aurifodinae" nearby Courmayeur, below the "Mons Captivus" or Mont Chétif. Passing through Pré St. Didier where the Romans had already discovered and learned to exploit the thermal waters to the interior of the famous horrid Gorge, before passing on the other side of the Mont de la Saxe to continue the search for gold, always with slaves or prisoners, at "Trou des Romains"; This then is not revealed a trend of this mineral but of silver galena rich to 60% lead.



Dalle miniere di Cogne per giungere alle "Aurifodinae" di Courmayeur, al di sotto del "Mons Captivus" o Mont Chétif. Passando per Pré St. Didier dove i Romani avevano di già scoperto ed imparato a sfruttare l'acque termali all'interno del famoso Orrido, prima di passare sulla sponda opposta del Mont de la Saxe per continuare la ricerca dell'oro, sempre a mezzo di schiavi o prigionieri, presso il "Trou des Romains"; questo poi s'é rivelato un filone non d'oro bensì di galena argentifera ricca al 60% di piombo.



This is what arrived in ancient ages, but in the "modern"? The Middle Ages has erased many traces, or, if you let them, you have to know how to read them carefully and prudently. We prefer to remain on a historic certain groove and then we have to start with regard to the iron, in addition to those of Cogne where it seems that the extraction was done to "open sky", we must go back to the year 1337 when Mr. Bernard Maes had discovered an iron field at Prenayes in Val Ferret. The ore was then transported to Orsières in Switzerland where he was worked in ironworks owned by him, whereas before it seems that this was also neighboring to Lavachey but there is no historical proof safe. Subsequent discoveries date back to 1432 when Monsignor Moriset built a kiln in Crétaz Epinel, to 1577 by Veins of Liconi with four galleries (Liconi Colonna Mutta and Monchalet or Mont Salet and today Larsine), all up to '900 with Ansaldo Steelworks and then Cogne in Aosta. In the other valleys are those of pyrite and chalcopyrite to Herin-Champdepraz and "Les Fabriques" in Valley St. Barthélemy, of "Les Moulines and Lechère" in Valpelline and "Tete de Comagne" between Valtournanche and the Val d'Ayas. Going from one extreme to the opposite note of "Pacoulla Mine" used around the year 1000 in the Valley of Gressoney with those of the "Monte Rosso" 1697 and "Valcoche-Orty" in Champorcher Valley. For the copper, in addition to very old Servette (in addition to that of the nearby Praborna with manganese and very rare violano), we must highlight that of "Les Bétendes", discovered in 1699 at Ollomont by Jean Antoine Campier Renchoz and exploited, after various vicissitudes, until the Second World War. Other of this mineral in "La Serva" in Valpelline, to "Rollon Matte" in the Lys Valley and the "Tete d'Arpy", where reappears the silver lead together with the antimony.
But back to our main speech that is the gold? In addition to the above for the Mont Chétif and the Mont de la Saxe both nearby Courmayeur-Resort, we must remember that the Romans gathered in Grand'Eyvia Torrent with an ingenious system that deviated the waters from the Pont de Laval at Pont d'Ael or Pondel, where at first it was "sifted" and then transported to near farms below Chatel Argent , at which the coins were minted for the Empire. But moving to "modern times" we must highlight the "liaison" to the Mines of "Arcesaz" at Champoluc with native gold, already exploited by the Romans, reopened since 1898 and until 1908 the English Company "Gold-Mining-Evançon". Other mining of this valuable mineral we find at the "Cengla" and the "Cleyva" in Champorcher Valley, where even today there is an ancient ruin at the Torrent Ayasse and nicknamed "Le Moulin de l'Or" as a result of work performed by locals. Even traces of the Hill Pisse under Glacier Indren in Gressoney Valley, while to the "Chamousira" Mines Fénilliaz Brusson old native gold, exploited from 1850 to 1970, were closed for their dangerousness recently time, now form a Museum funded by the European Community.
But the fun happens if we pass from true History to fanciful Legend. Then you have to be real "Klondikers" and rely completely on what I tell You in person.
They say that the Long Lake of the Laures, above Grand Brissogne, a large amount of gold was buried by an enormous landslide of ancient Glacier Laures on the bottom thereof; for not to be outdone those of Cogne tell that to the Southern slopes of Tour Grauson exists a great reservoir beneath the large stony ground of Chaz Fleurie Vallon.
In the second case, just dig, while in the first you have to know how to swim under water. If you are not Hunters or Fishermen we also believe them ...



Questo succedevava negli evi antichi, ma nei "moderni"? Il Medioevo ha cancellato molte tracce oppure, se le ha lasciate, bisogna saperle leggere con molta attenzione e prudenza. Preferiamo restare su d'un solco storicamente certo ed allora dobbiamo iniziare per quanto concerne il ferro, oltre a quelle di Cogne dove par che l'estrazione avvenisse a "cielo aperto", dovendo risalire all'anno 1337 quando il Signor Bernardo Maes aveva scoperto un giacimento presso Prenayes in Val Ferret; il minerale veniva poi trasportato ad Orsières in Svizzera dove veniva lavorato nelle ferriere di sua proprietà, mentre prima sembra che ciò avvenisse anche a Lavachey ma non esiste sicura prova storica. Le successive scoperte datano del 1432 quando Monsignor Moriset fece costruire un forno a Crétaz ed Epinel, del 1577 con il Filone di Liconi con quattro gallerie (Liconi, Colonna, Mutta e Monchalet o Mont Salet ed oggi Larsine), il tutto fino al '900 con le Acciaierie Ansaldo e poi Cogne ad Aosta. Nelle altre vallate troviamo quelle di pirite e calcopirite ad Herin-Champdepraz e di "Les Fabriques" in Valle di St. Barthélemy, di "Les Moulines e Lechére" in Valpelline e della "Tete de Comagne" tra la Valtournanche e la Val d'Ayas. Andando da un estremo all'opposto segnaliamo la "Miniera di Pacoulla" sfruttata intorno all'anno 1000 in Valle di Gressoney e quelle del "Monte Rosso" del 1697 e di "Valcoche-Orty" nella Valle di Champorcher. Per il rame, oltre all'antichissima di Servette (oltre a quella della vicina Praborna con manganese ed il rarissimo violano), dobbiamo evidenziare quella di "Les Bétendes", scoperta nel 1699 presso Ollomont da Jean Antoine Campier Renchoz e sfruttata, con varie vicissitudini, fino alla Seconda Guerra Mondiale. Altre miniere di questo minerale a "La Serva" in Valpelline, a "Rollon Matte" nella Valle del Lys ed alla "Testa d'Arpy", dove riappare il piombo argentifero insieme all'antimonio.



Ma tornando al nostro discorso principale ovvero l'oro? Oltre a quando sopra detto per il Mont Chétif ed il Mont de la Saxe, dobbiamo ricordare che i Romani lo raccoglievano nella Grand'Eyvia con un ingegnoso sistema che deviava le acque dal Pont de Laval a Pont d'Ael, dove dapprima veniva "setacciato" e poi trasportato al vicino Chatel Argent, presso il quale si coniavano le monete per l'Impero. Ma passando ai "tempi moderni"dobbiamo evidenziare il "trait d'union" delle Miniere di oro nativo ad "Arcesaz" presso Champoluc, già sfruttate dai Romani, riaperte dal 1898 e fino al 1908 dalla Società Inglese "Gold-Mining-Evançon". Altre del prezioso minerale le troviamo alla "Cengla" ed alla "Cleyva" in Valle di Champorcher, dove ancora oggigiorno esiste un antico rudere presso il Torrent Ayasse e soprannominato "Le Moulin de l'Or", a seguito dei lavori eseguiti dai locali. Ancora tracce al Colle della Pisse sotto il Glacier d'Indren in valle di Gressoney o del Lys, mentre alla Miniera di "Chamousira" a Fénilliaz di Brusson le vecchie miniere di oro nativo, sfruttate dal 1850 al 1970, son state chiuse per la loro pericolosità da non molto tempo e costituiscono un Museo finanziato dalla Comunità Europea.
Ma il bello avviene se passiamo dalla Storia alla Leggenda. Dovete essere dei veri "Klondikers" ed affidarvi completamente a quanto personalmente Vi racconto.
Dicon che al Lago Lungo delle Laures, al di sopra di Grand Brissogne, una grande quantità d'oro sia stato sepolto da un'enorme frana dell'antico Ghiacciaio delle Laures sul fondo del medesimo; per non essere da meno quelli di Cogne raccontan che alle pendici Meridionali della Tour Grauson esiste un giacimento sotto la grande pietraia della Chaz Fleurie.
Nel secondo caso basta scavar, mentre nel primo bisogna saper nuotare sott'acqua. Se non son Cacciatori o Pescatori possiamo anche creder loro ...





Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.