White Pine to Bells, Wasatch, Utah

White Pine to Bells, Wasatch, Utah

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Trip Description

On June 20-22 2006 we started at the White Pine trailhead, entered Hogum through the notch on the Maybird/Hogum ridge that is closest to the Pfeifferhorn, traversed over to Hogum's spectacular Western cirque, scrambled North to one of the notches leading to Thunder Bowl, crossed the bowl, entered Bells through the notch behind Bells Cleaver, and then descended to the Bells trailhead. We did this over an evening, a full day, and a short day. However it could be done in a long day, Beatout-style. But in this kind of terrain, who wants to rush?

Due to the very warm Spring, the snow was extremely well consolidated. In the morning it was firm enough to be frightening. We experienced few of the problems in punching through thin snow onto talus that made things unpleasant in upper Bells in Spring 2005.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
dillweed

dillweed - Jun 30, 2006 5:31 am - Hasn't voted

great album

how long did the hike take? how technical was it - do you need crampons and an ice axe? I would love to do this hike.

regehr

regehr - Jun 30, 2006 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

re: great album

Hi-

We did this hike over three days since we didn't want to be rushed or forced to move on iffy snow. However, it could be done in a single long day. We were on the move from 6pm-9pm getting to upper Maybird, then maybe 7am-4pm getting to upper Bells, and then maybe 8am-1pm exiting Bells. This was not moving particularly fast, we had a few routefinding adventures and also wanted to enjoy the sights.

In previous years the main snow problem has been afternoon slop but this year the very warm Spring seems to have consolidated things extraordinarily well, so we had to deal with hard morning snow rather than slush. Crampons weren't needed but they would have been needed to move much earlier in the morning. Certainly an axe was required, for example to get to the notch exiting Thunder Bowl. The scrambling was third class, and only that in a few places.

Crossing Hogum was particularly pleasant and went faster than anticipated, the snow was great. But with all the hot weather it may be a talus adventure already.

dillweed

dillweed - Jul 6, 2006 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: re: great album

thanks. I just did three days in the wasatch too. I think I'll make up and TR or album. We started in Millcreek and ended in American Fork canyon. Fun trip.

imontop

imontop - Jul 2, 2006 4:05 am - Voted 10/10

Nice work

Very nice pictures! Sounds and looks like a great route.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bells CanyonTrip Reports