White Rock Spring Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.17924°N / 115.48974°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 12, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

A Good Little Hike with a Summit

On February 12, 2014 my hiking partner Lee and I, along with my dog Minnie, hiked the northwest ridge of White Rock Hills to the summit of (unofficially named) White Rock Springs Peak. This is a great little hike that includes easy accessibility, minimal crowds, a little bit of scrambling and a nice (albeit minor) summit. 

White Rock Spring Peak
White Rock Spring Peak

We parked at the White Rock Springs Trailhead, took a few steps north along said trail and then hopped on the white rocks that begin the ridge line just to the left of the trail. I thought this was really cool as I prefer to travel on rock whenever possible, especially at Red Rock. If you enjoy boulder hopping along the top of a ridge, this hike is totally for you. 

Unnamed Image
Lee Cranking

We hiked, hopped and scrambled to the false summit (.9 mi/+ 1,135 ft) which reads as point 5977 on the topo map. From there we scrambled down a small amount of class 2/3 terrain and traversed the last bit of the ridge to the summit proper (.15 mi/+ 30 ft?). This final section is definitely the crux of the route as it does require some minimal route finding and perhaps one tricky class 3 move (at least the way I went). There were a few different options to get over or around the false summit and I chose a line that spiced it up just a bit. It took some coaxing and a little help to get my dog to make that move! 

Happy Dog
Happy Dog

The last push to the summit is a fun jog up slabby sandstone and an old tree trunk sticking up out of the top marks the peak. We enjoyed the near 70 degree temps up top as we had lunch and hung out. It took us 1 1/2 hrs from trailhead to summit going at a moderate pace. If one wanted to Uli Steck it they could probably do it in half that time. Descent time was about an hour. 

Unnamed Image
Peak Seat

All in all this was a really fun hike in a beautiful setting. If you're looking for an accessible peak that can be done quickly I would highly recommend it. It also offers some reprieve from the crowds over on the more mainstream trails in Red Rock. 

Unnamed Image
White Rock Peak

Side note: We couldn't help but scope out the larger peak on the south end of White Rock Hills, White Rock Peak (6,462 ft). After a failed attempt on that peak the week before due to improper planning and a late start, we were determined to find a more enjoyable route to it's summit. We decided that the two obvious  non-technical routes (a side hill traverse or a bushwhack up the gully) both suck from bitter experience the week before. The WRSP ridge seems to be a much better way to at least get near the saddle. The tricky part is obviously descending to the saddle from the ridge line below WRSP. Hopefully I will have a successful report on that route soon. 

-Jon Ullon


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 14, 2014 9:33 am - Voted 8/10

Gully not so bad

The gully to the saddle between the two peaks is really not that brushy if you actually stay above the base of the gully itself and traverse across the rock and dirt terrain. I have a route page attached to the pages for both peaks that talks about both this approach and the traverse between the two peaks. I hope you might find it helpful.

Adventure Punk

Adventure Punk - Feb 14, 2014 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Gully not so bad

Yeah I liked your route page and actually wanted to repeat your route. We ran out of time on our first attempt but we probably did just get too low down in the gully. I remember it being better up higher. Well I may try it via the ridge and if that works out I'll report on it.
Thanks for the comment!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.