Wildcat Ledge Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85700°N / 78.307°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log
Add Overview text here.

Getting There

Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description

This is the only route up to Wildcat Ledge via a trail. From the north parking lot at Shenandoah River State Park, head north around the walk-in campground loop. After about one hundred yards you'll run into an old fire/dirt road that heads north, eventually turning west with the river. Follow the road for about two hundred yards until you see the post for the Wildcat Ledge Trail, which is clearly marked. Follow the trail up the ridge, which gains all of the elevation in one shot. Once on top you get views of classic Virginia with the open pastures and mountains in the background.

From here, continue following the trail along the ridge top which steeply goes up and down in a few places, always regaining the elevation. Finally, after half a mile, you'll be able to see the rock outcropping and you're at Wildcat Ledge. From here you get great views to the east, south, and west taking in the greater Shenandoah Valley with the river flowing below. To your southeast you can see the high peaks of Stony Man and Hawksbill rising out of Shenandoah National Park. To the west (your right) you can see Massanhutten Mountain, which seems to continue forever into the southern horizon with its rugged ridgeline. Continue back via the same route. The total round-trip distance is approximately one mile.

Essential Gear

Comfortable hiking shoes, snacks, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.