Williams Lk/ Wheeler/ Simpson/ Pt.12,728

Williams Lk/ Wheeler/ Simpson/ Pt.12,728

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.54480°N / 105.42°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mixed
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Mixed: Hike, class 2, 3
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive through the ski area and stay to the left on NM 150. Follow the dirt road for about 1.5 miles until it ends at the parking lot behind the Phoenix Restaurant; this is the lot for the Williams Lake trailhead. Park here and hike toward the ski lift (Kachina # 4). Turn left and follow the signs to Williams Lake.

Route Description

The Climb from Simpson Pk to Pt. 12,728
The Climb from Simpson Peak

Follow the Williams Lake Route to the summit of Wheeler Peak
written by Alan Ellis. From Wheeler Peak head south and hike about ½ mile to Simpson Peak. From the summit of Simpson Peak you will be heading southwest along a ridge for a little less than ½ mile. Expect to do some climbing here as you will encounter a few rock walls and some big drop offs Once you get past these rocks, the summit is easily attainable.
The Descent




































The Descent

From the summit continue southwest to the saddle of Point 12,728 and Bighorn Peak. You will have to hop boulders for a while then hike downhill on tundra until you reach the Williams Lake basin. Continue to the west side of Williams Lake and return to the trailhead via the Williams Lake Trail.
Point 12,728 from Williams...

Essential Gear

Basic hiking shoes should be sufficient for this climb as long as there is no snow on the peak. This particular route would be very dangerous if snow were present.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.