Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.96675°N / 115.75063°W
Additional Information County: Boise
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7837 ft / 2389 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wilson Peak 7837'
Wilson Peak (7837') as seen from the NE trail.

Wilson Peak is situated roughly 17 miles NE of Idaho City, and about 3 miles W of the more popular Pilot Peak.  Located in the Boise National Forest and Boise County, Wilson Peak can be reached within a few hours of Boise. 

Getting There

From Idaho City, take Highway 21 north for ~13 miles and park at Mores Creek Summit.  There is a restroom at the parking lot for your peace of mind. 

Route

A recent burn area...
A recent burn area long the trail north of Wilson Peak.

Starting at the parking lot, walk about 300' south on the highway until you come to the 4WD road heading
north.  Hike or drive up the road and turn west at the top to find the ATV trail directly north of Freeman Peak. 
Total distance from Highway 21 to the ATV trail is about four miles.  Continue on the two track for about 3
miles until you reach the marked summit.  Wilson Peak is 1700' higher than Mores Creek Summit.
The old Wilson Peak sign
The old Wilson Peak sign.

Red Tape

Snowmobile track...
Looking down the snowcovered 4WD road.

During winter ascents, the 4WD road becomes a popular cruising lane for snow machines.  Snowshoers and skiers are advised to wear bright colors and/or attempt this hike during the week to avoid the increased amount of weekend traffic.

When to Climb

This would make a fun trail for cross country skiing/ski mountaineering due to its undulating approach.  This peak can be accessed year round, but would make for a pretty lengthy snow shoe trip.  It is recommended as a winter ski tour destination.

Camping

There are many great camping spots along the saddle between Pilot and Freeman, with great views of the distant Sawtooths.  Camping spots can also be found along the ATV trail to Wilson Peak.  There is no access to water on the ridge, so plan accordingly.

External Links

Sawtooth Avalanche Report- gives winter warnings and advisories for avalanche danger.

Boise National Forest- info on the Boise National Forest.

Idaho Outdoors Forum- a place for outdoor enthusiasts to find and share information about outdoor pursuits.