2nd visit to Chokecherry Mtn (NV)

2nd visit to Chokecherry Mtn (NV)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking

What to do?

Chokecherry Mountain (NV)


SP member Dennis Poulin and myself had planned originally to do a lot of stuff around Winnemucca Nevada but the weather wasn't cooperating (snow and that kind of nastiness) so we decided to hook up in the southern part of the state. Dennis and his wife found their way to Cathedral Gorge state park near Pioche Nevada and invited me to join them there. They said the weather was sunny and
it wasn't snowing nary at all.

Heading out very early in the morning from Lehi, I met up with them about ten a.m. They had a nice campsite and were ready to treat me to a sunday brunch (which was very delicious). Thank's to Dennis's good wife who put together quite the meal. Yum.

After eating, we decided to head out and find something to climb. Dennis was thinking of Badger Mountain near Alamo but I had in mind something else, a repeat of Chokecherry Mountain, which was one that Dennis hadn't done yet. I
was concerned about how well my hiking legs would hold up since I had suffered a leg injury two months earlier and wanted to know that I was up to the plans we had ahead of us. Knowing the route on Chokecherry as well as the mileage it entailed and elevation gain required, would be a good way to find out what I was capable of. I offered my services as a guide in repayment for the fine sunday brunch as well as my services as a driver who knew the roads in.

After one miscue on taking the wrong road (some great driver I turned out to be), we finally got on the right road and I made good time right up to what we called the trailhead.

Following my memory of the past visit, we nailed the route right up to the ridgeline and made the up and down traverse that led over to the summit area of this mountain, a summit that has no views to speak of since trees are numerous and block the views. In signing the register, I noted that only one party had been up there since Ken Jones and I had visited the peak about a year earlier. It turned out that 2010 saw two summit groups, a banner year for this lonely mountain.
Only one since...register entry in nov

Not long after signing the register again, it started snowing on us (what the heck?) and we could hear thunder booming from across the way (not good).
The snow became sort of a graupel and pelted us all the way back to the base of the saddle where the climb up the ravine begins. It seemed like a winter landscape for awhile but the lower elevation eliminated such nonsense and before we knew it we were back at my truck. The drive out was a thing of beauty since I didn't want a repeat of the ATV track I had used on my way in. The key to the roads is to take the road that says Delamar 15 miles back at the highway.

Once back at Cathedral Gorge state park, we were treated to a nice dinner prepared by Dennis's wife and topped off with some wonderful strawberry short cake.

The next day we got up early and made the longer drive to Badger Mountain with the charge to find a campground that was nearer to where we'd be hiking the following two days.

The list of our vacation efforts:
Apr 24 Chokecherry Mtn
Apr 25 Badger Mtn
Apr 26 Mount Irish
Apr 27 So. Pahroc
Apr 29 Mormon Peak
Apr 30 Scrub BM & West Mtn Peak
May 1 Virgin Peak
May 3 Bangs Peak

Camping in style

Roughing it nicely


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.