4 X 4 Access Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.08070°N / 122.7172°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Difficulty: Easy Class 1
Distance: 5 miles round-trip
Elevation Gain: 1150 feet

Access to the mountain is gained by taking Exit 6 from Interstate 5 and following the road paralled to Interstate 5 for approximately 1 mile, following the Mount Ashland Signs. When you see the sign that says Mount Ashland Ski Area follow that road (right turn) for 8.7 miles to the ski area parking lot. The road beyond the Ski Area is closed during the winter, but access is available during the summer months (usually opens in mid-June).

From the Ski-Area parking lot follow the road further up for about a half a mile. From there, before June you are likely to encounter a gate. Go ahead and park here. Continue past the gate on foot for another mile. You will come across a couple of roads along the way that branch off to your left. Ignore those and continue on the main road. After 1 mile past the gate you will come across a 4 X 4 road that branches right and uphill. Take this one. From here it will be another 1.5 miles to the summit. Once your near the summit, you will see the giant volleyball on top. Continue just past that and to the right, with a short little jaunt up a hill and you will be standing on the summit. A USGS marker is there to confirm your position.

Route Description

An Easy Walk-up
After getting by the gate, you will follow the road for about 0.2 miles through some trees and then the views will open up into meadows on both sides of you. For the next 0.8 miles or so, the views will alternate between meadows and trees. If you look back on some of these open spots you will catch a glimpse of Mount Shasta. When you reach the 4 X 4 road it will switchback a couple of times to the right and then to the left. You will eventually come to a lookout portion where Mount McLoughlin is visible. When you reach the top you will have views of both the aforementioned mountains plus Pilot Rock and the majority of the Siskiyou Mountain Range.

Essential Gear

Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall: All you should really need during this time of year is a good pair of hiking shoes, a day pack with the 10 essentials, sunblock, camera. Possibly some bug repellent as well, although we did not have a problem in Early June.

Late Fall/Winter/Early Spring: I would recommend snowshoes during this time and please be wary of avalanche danger. Also during this time, I believe climbing is frowned upon, due to the ski area being open. Although when I called to get information on this particular issue, the ski area did not give me a definitive answer. So my best advice is to call, and see what they say. At least then you will have a clear conscience.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.