Viewing: 1-20 of 37 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

RyanSan addition

RyanS

Hi John. "Bishop Rock" (PT 8260) on the Pine quad b/w Banner Peak and Cathedral Spires is a technical peak. John Kirk got this note from Roach a couple years back: "We just failed on a summit yesterday at the base of a Class 5.5 pitch on "Bishop Rock" - a ranked summit between Cathedral Spires and Banner Peak. It was one of those surprise endings. The pitch looked 5.5 or so, but was north facing, cold, and we had no gear. I'll return when it's warmer."
Posted Mar 17, 2006 5:59 pm

John PraterRe: an addition

John Prater

Ryan, thanks for the update. I knew of The Bishop/Bishop Rock, having seen references to Ellingwood's climb on it back in the 1920's. Guess I forgot about it when compiling this list; or maybe I thought there might be an easier route. Hubbel's South Platte guide seems to show a 5.5 route on one of the route topos, so that seems to fit with Roach's comment. This is another good one for the list - several toughies down there in the South Platte.
Posted Mar 21, 2006 5:01 am

ColoradoScottOther summits

ColoradoScott

John,

I just drove back home through the four courners area yeaterday. There is a butte/monolith out there (on the Tanner Mesa quad) called Chimney Rock, at el. 6110. It is quite an impressive sandstone "peak" that couldn't have a non-technical route to it's summit. I'll try to send a pic of it soon. it is located on the Ute Mountain Rez, so it may be off-limits to climbers; I have no idea and had not heard mention of it prior to me eyeing it yesterday. There are a few sandstone towers just noth of it along a ridge, just outside of Mesa Verde's western border, and East Toe and West Toe (on the Mariano Wash East quad) that may meet the requirements of your list as well.
Posted Mar 28, 2006 12:35 am

Matt LemkeRe: Other summits

Matt Lemke

Thanks...I adopted this page and noticed John added it prior so I'll keep it there!
Posted Nov 10, 2013 2:58 am

Alan EllisNice Page!

Alan Ellis

John, let's go climb Chimney Peak/Rock near Ouray. Attm and I have been trying to get out there and do it for the last two years. Jackie and I plan to be in Ouray the first week of September. If we can find someone to dog-sit for a day, we'll try it. Come join us.

AE
Posted Apr 4, 2006 3:06 pm

ScottPeak 6489

Scott

Point 6489 is 5.4 via it's easiest route. We expected it to be tougher, but climbed the peak on September 3. Still a challenge and an SP page will follow soon.
Posted Sep 7, 2006 3:37 pm

ScottOutlaw Peak/Peak 6489

Scott

page

It's mostly just a scramble, with just one technical pitch.
Posted Sep 20, 2006 10:58 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Outlaw Peak/Peak 6489

Matt Lemke

Thanks Scott!
Posted Nov 10, 2013 2:59 am

Jeremy HakesSheeprock

Jeremy Hakes

John - Now that we've done Sheeprock, I suppose you'll have to add it to the list of technical climbs, eh? After some further research in obscure books, the easiest line (including the one we did) is 5.5.
Posted Sep 6, 2007 4:44 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Sheeprock

Matt Lemke

Thanks Jeremy I added them
Posted Nov 10, 2013 3:06 am

Jeremy Hakes"South Sheeprock" El 8740'

Jeremy Hakes

Easiest line is a 5.7 "crack"/feature on the north face.
Posted Dec 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Matt LemkeRe:

Matt Lemke

Added
Posted Nov 10, 2013 3:07 am

Jeremy HakesRaleigh Peak, 8183'

Jeremy Hakes

Easiest line from the "launch pad"/mantle move is an exposed 5.4.
Posted Dec 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Raleigh Peak, 8183'

Matt Lemke

Added
Posted Nov 10, 2013 3:09 am

Jeremy HakesChair Rocks, 8020'

Jeremy Hakes

Easiest line we could find was the 5.10a/b on the NW face. There is a 5.9 that gets you to the base of the last summit block, but no passage from there.
Posted Dec 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Chair Rocks, 8020'

Matt Lemke

Added! Thanks
Posted Nov 10, 2013 3:12 am

Jeremy HakesShip Rock, Creation Rock

Jeremy Hakes

Don't forget about Ship Rock and Creation Rock, both in Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Both are around the 5.2-5.4 mark.
Posted Dec 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Ship Rock, Creation Rock

Matt Lemke

Added both!
Posted Nov 10, 2013 3:26 am

John KirkChild of Sunlight Spire

John Kirk

Currently the list's path looks like this:
San Juan Range > Sunlight Spire > 5th Class Colorado Peaks

It seems odd to me that this list would be a child of Sunlight Spire (or San Juan Range) since the list encompasses all of CO. (I can delete this comment when changed).
Posted Apr 4, 2008 5:36 pm