Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.28755°N / 112.56143°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 19, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring
Steamboat Mountain East 8,297 feet
Steamboat
View from Steamboat East over Haystack Butte

Was a nice hike.   Over the bridge and right after the first cliff band.  The route has been cairned, to some extent, but the first one had been destroyed, on the Dearborn River trail to Devil's Glen...Which caused me to bushwack up the creek for a twenty minute warmup, thank you.  First part is steep loose gravel so take your time.  It gets better.  The rock gardens are full of nice boulders, and more boulders below the lower cliffs remain elusive.
Unnamed Image

After the rock gardens you follow steep alpine meadows full of wildflowers to the summit plateau, skirting the talus.  In mid-June there was plenty of water flowing all the way to the summit plateau, and the topo shows a summit pond.  There is a lot of limestone on the summit plateau for bouldering or toproping.  It's more solid than it looks.  Really.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.