A Close run thing on the Aonach Eagach

A Close run thing on the Aonach Eagach

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 56.68100°N / 5.002°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 31, 2009
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Setting the scene

By late May of 2009 plans were finally coming to fruition for an expedition to bag the notorious Black Cuillin of Skye. with this in mind me and Dad headed out the week before we left for Skye and two days before my final economics papers (with hindsight not a good idea)to tackle the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe. We had a beautiful day for the ridge and we got to the car park at the Three Sisters without much trouble,albeit a 100 mile drive to get there. However on the way we were treated to stunning views of Rannoch Moor and the hills surrounding it.

The Buckle


The plan was to hammer across the ridge and fall into the Clachlaig Inn on the other side for a well earned pint before the 6km walk back to the car along the West highland Way, finally putting it to some good use.

'you don't need a rope for this'

From the Three sister's car park we followed the new path up on the shoulder of Am Bodach and quickly gained the summit. We were immediately treated to the ominous sight of people roping up ready for the traverse.

Having negotiated the 20m of scrambling down the far side of Am Bodach with ease we were feeling pleased as we hauled ourselves onto Meall Dearg. Ahead of us stretched the crazy pinnacles.

The Crazy Pinnacles


We confidently passed over the first three pinnacles and were going well until when decending a slab down towards the gap between Pinnacle No.3 and No.4 Dad lost his footing and fell about 10 metres rolling over a ledge in the process. Understandably I crapped myself and was all ready to call out the Mountain rescue when he went into shock. However 45 minutes later we started off again, both of us now very shaken. i would like to thank everybody on the ridge that helped him that day.

Pinnacle Three


Beating a retreat

We did however reach Sgorr nam Fiannaidh without further cockups and began the decent to find that the route down Clachlaig gully to the pub was closed, both of us had forgotten to read the section in The Munros (as per usual). we now faced the six kilometre walk back in blistering sunshine. Apart from the little 'accident' the aonach eagach proved a spectacular scramble and well worth while the drive there (and back). the down side of the story is that Dad contracted cellulitius and the trip to Skye had to be cancelled. So it was back to school on Monday morning with another war story to tell.

The Chancellor



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Trevers89

Trevers89 - Dec 8, 2011 7:42 am - Hasn't voted

I'm glad...

... your Dad wasn't seriously hurt, sounds like a scary place to take a tumble!

I'd really love to do this walk. How does it compare with Crib Goch in terms of difficulty, exposure and danger?

TheMunroist

TheMunroist - Jun 5, 2012 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I'm glad

sorry for the late reply, been very busy this year! if you've done Crib Goch, you'll have no bother with the ridge, just a few section in the pinnacles are extremely exposed. I did Crib Goch last easter, after the aonach eagach and found it easier and less exposed. Don't do it in bad weather, wait for a good day

Aye he was fine in the end!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Aonach EagachTrip Reports