A quicky to Pisco

A quicky to Pisco

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Scenery

Off to Pisco

After the snow had thwarted our attempt at Chopicalqui, we had one day left. The descent from high camp went fast, and in moraine camp, my guide suggested that we had enough time to walk the Pisco refuge that same day and climb Pisco tomorrow night.
Pisco Refuge and ChopicalquiPisco refuge and Chopicalqui

And so we continued down to Cebollapampa, where we left our porter and a lot of our gear, then almost raced up to the refuge - well, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but we still got up there in two hours, which, considering the altitude, I was quite happy about.

I understood that the normal departure time from the refuge was 1 am, but I convinced my guide we could start somewhat later than usual. I guess that our rapid walk to the refuge helped to persuade him, and so we started breakfast by the time that the others were putting on their boots.

We left at 2. I didn't feel as if we were fast at all, but my altimeter readings showed that we had a nice rhythm going. We already caught up with a few climbers before we got on the glacier, and passed everybody else higher up on the slopes, some from the refuge, others that had started from moraine camp. We reached the summit literally a few minutes after sunrise on a beautiful day.
Sunrise on HuandoySunrise on Huandoy


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
EricChu

EricChu - May 30, 2012 8:57 am - Voted 10/10

Marvelous!

Rob, this is a superb album!!!
Cheers,
Eric

rgg

rgg - May 30, 2012 11:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Marvelous!

Thanks Eric :-)

Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - May 31, 2012 12:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice album!!!!

I like it.
Thanks Rob.

silvia

rgg

rgg - Jun 5, 2012 12:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice album!!!!

Grazie. I like it too, it brings back happy memories.
Ciao, Rob

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.