A.T. - Southern Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.81600°N / 77.47°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the instructions on the "Getting There" page.

Route Description


This route starts at the southern end of the ridge which contains Buzzard Peak and Snowy Mountain. The trail climbs steadily past the Tumbling Run Shelters up the ridge. The path is marked well and it's easy to see where you need to go. Th trail climbs past the ravine which separates Buzzard from Briar Mountain. It is a steady ascent all the way up to where the trail splits on the flats near the top. The trail to Chimney Rocks and the summit heads south and is marked by blue blazes instead of the normal A.T. white. The trail then continues to Chimney Rocks where the trail turns class 2 as you scramble up the boulders. It's really easy though and the views are marvelous. The roundtrip distance is about 3 miles with an elevation gain of 946 feet. Wildlife abounds and the views are great which makes this a very nice short hike.

Essential Gear


Snacks and comfortable shoes.
In snow and ice conditions........ crampoons may be necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.