Adolfo Hess bivouac hut

Adolfo Hess bivouac hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 45.76082°N / 6.81290°E
Additional Information Elevation: 2958 ft / 902 m

Description

The full name is Bivouac Hut Adolfo Hess, but it's more commonly known as "Bivouac de L'Estelette"

This old bivouac is located near the Estelette col, at the end of the long SW ridge of the Aiguille des Glaciers. It's a tiny shelter made of wood inside a metallic frame, property of the Italian Academic Alpine Club (CAAI). Room for 4. This structure is the oldest of this type in the Alps (it was built in 1929) and basically abandoned. However, it provides a decent shelter for the night - just bring a foam pad.

The hut itself can be the goal for a pleasant hike, useful for acclimatization.

Access

ccess: (diff EE / F, 2h. 760 m.)

From the Elisabetta Hut (2197m. can be reached in 1,30h from La Visaille/Plan Lognan (1970m)), take the trail going west (signpoint "Bivacco Dell'Estelette"). The well marked trail goes first above the Estelette glacier moraine, then, at a junction, turn right, cross a stream coming down from the glacier and follows many switchbacks on the rock and grass slopes on the opposite side. With a long leftward final traverse, the path get to bottom of the scree couloir coming down from the south side of Col D'Estelette. Simply climb it, first on traces, then on a often snowy and steep final narrow. At the col summit (2922m. great views on the opposite side) turn left, and scramble up to the rock platform where the hut is located.

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mont Blanc GROUPHuts & Campgrounds