Ailefroide rockclimbing area

Ailefroide rockclimbing area

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 44.53000°N / 6.26600°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6814 ft / 2077 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ailefroide-village from above

Located in the High Dauphiné Alps, the beautiful small and rather quiet village of Ailefroide at 1515 metres is located in the 2nd biggest French mountaineering area after Chamonix, nestled at the foot of the Mont Pelvoux ( 3946 m ) in the Ecrins massif.
In the climbing world, Ailefroide is renowned as one of the most beautiful natural climbing spots. Whether you’re a beginner or experienced, whether you prefer long routes or boulders, without doubt you’ll find your 'piece of cake'. You'll find 2 bouldering circuits, 9 sport climbing crags (194 pitches, 3c-8) and 67 great routes (150-500 m) accessed in not more than half an hour walking.

In the Ailefroide area there is also some of the best bouldering outside of Fontainebleau too! Each year in July a bouldering event takes place.

The following activities are on offerin the Ailefroide area : mountaineering, bouldering, climbing, hiking, Via Ferratas, canyoning, rafting,.. .
Draye-area in Ailefroide

Getting There

Coming by car from Briancon,take the RN94 in the direction of Gap. In Argentière La Bessée, turn right on the D994 in the direction of Vallouise (turn left if you come from the direction of Gap/Aix en Provence). After Vallouise and Pelvoux you'll reach the village of Ailefroide.
Note that a narrow curved tunnel inhibits standard busses going farther than Pelvoux village: Ailefroide can be accessed only by cars and small busses.

If you keep following the road after Ailefroide you'llend up at Prè de Mme Carle at 1840m at the end of the valley.

The closest train station is located in l'Argentière La Bessée, 18 km from Ailefroide. In Argentière you can take the bus to reach Ailefroide.

Areas

Bouldering in Ailefroide

Locations in and at walking distance from Ailefroide:


Single 'small' route areas:
-La Gorge: 18 routes (level 6 and 7 or more)
-Fissure: 33 routes (level 3,4,5 and 6)
-Terra Nova: 8 routes (level 6 and 7 or more)
-Tenue de soirée: 8 routes (all level 7 or more)
-Etoiles: 12 routes (level 3,4 and 5)
-Rainbow Warrior: 12 routes (level 3,4,5, 6 and 7 or more)
-Draye: 76 routes (all levels)
-Petites Dalles: 20 routes (all levels)
-Far West: 7 routes (level 7 and 8)

Multipitch 'big' routes:
67 routes from 100 up to 500m high, level 4c/5a up to 6c/7a

Red tape

No permits/fees
Leading on  Tétard Motivé , 5b

Camping

Campsite at the bottom of Draye-area

Camping municipal d’Ailefroide **
05340 Pelvoux
Téléphone: 04 92 23 32 00 or 04 92 23 31 07
Fax: 04 92 23 46 43

At an altitude of 1515m, it's the most vast natural camp site in Europe.
Groups and individuals are welcome. The views and camping placesare great.
Facilities: hot and cold water, showers, WC, sinks, electric hookups, telephone box, volleyball court and childrens games.

The campsite is rather big. You'll find the reception on the left site when you enter the village. If you prefer the more quiet places, just pass through the village across the bridge over the river. Here the campsite is more quiet and you can set up yout tent almost next to the boulders and climbing site. Officially campfires are not allowed but in general it's no problem.

External Links

Bureau des guides des Ecrins

Website of hotel Engilberge in Ailefroide

You can find topo's and guidebooks here

Guidebooks - topo - maps

Titel: Ailefroide Topo Blocs
Autors: Anthony Lamiche
For sale in Ailefroide

Titel: Escalades autour d'Ailefroide
Printed By: Cambon
Autors: Jean Michel Cambon
Last print: 2005
ISBN2-9524035-0-3
For sale in Ailefroide or online buy here

Titel: Grimper dans le haut-val Durance
Description: It's a collection of the most area's of the haut - val Durance
Printed By: Editions du Fournel
Autors: Yann, Martine et Jean Jacques ROLLAND
Pag: 230
Last print: 2002

Cartes / Maps
* Michelin : No. 77, pli/folder 17
* IGN 1:25000 : 3436ET

Village

Ailefroide Church

The small charming village has a few bars/restaurants and 3 small supermarkets/shops with limited choice. In general the climate during summer is very nice and sunny with warm (but not too hot) days and sometimes cold nights. The site is deeply enbanked between very high mountains, so sunshine disappears early in the afternoon.

There are 2 or 3 shops in town where can buy or rent ALL kind of climbing gear (including crashpads). In these shops you can buy climbing and bouldering topo-guides of the area.

Essential gear

All basic rockclimbing gear. Don't forget yout helmet! Normally all routes are bolted. For the 'big' routes you need a 100m rope!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Massif des EcrinsAreas & Ranges