Airplane Over North Cascades

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 48.70229°N / 121.83426°W
Additional Information Object Type: Arial Trip

Take off from Bellingham Airport

September 23, 2006 proved to be another sunny day this year in Whatcom County, Washington. I had been invited to fly around Glacier Peak by a local pilot. I had climbed Glacier last September. Off we went about Noon, climbing out of some haze very quickly to very clear blue skies with great views to Mt.Baker, Twin Sisters, Three Fingers, Whitehorse, Sloan and more. In fact, more mountains than I can identify. It's funny to try to get your bearings from the air, compared to slowing crunching up the trails and mountains figuring out where you are. Cruising at 145 knots, we were seeing Glacier Peak in less than 30 minutes. The airplane is a 4 passenger, retractable landing gear, turbo/charged beauty. My son, his wife, myself and the pilot were enjoying every minute. Fresh snow made the mountains spectacular! We circled Glacier Peak at 11,200 feet. The north side has huge glaciers. I had to wonder how many climbed it this year. Summitpost does not include too many log notes in recent years. Coming around the east to south sides, glaciers get smaller until we were over the White Chuck Glacier (what's left of it). White Chuck/Gerdine/Cool were the glaciers we climbed. It was great to see it from the air.

Pilot to passengers: Do you want to see Baker Again?

What could we say...a...well...sure! Heading north we again flew over so many mountains. I brought my map, but we were really moving and I couldn't keep up with all we were seeing. Taking pictures and looking at the map, I just gave up on the map. I will add pictures, but not name them all. Feel free to comment. Also, there were so many lakes between Glacier and Baker. I think I'll quit my job and get lost for a few years while my legs still work. ( I'll check with my wife first...the answer is no ). I will add some of the random shots out the window just for the reference. I was able to get a distant shot of Mt Challenger that I tried in August. Next year for that one. Mt. Baker had two climbers on top, not real clear in the photos, but it was cool to see them up there. I took some pictures of the North Ridge, which I hope to do??? and the rest of all sides. Off to Shuksan next door, then Winchester with the lookout, Larrabee, American Border Peak and ...more!

What else can I say? I hope you enjoy the pictures I post. They were all taken throught the window of the plane with my new Minolta/Konica 5.0 Dimage Z-20. Pictures are coming.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

North CascadesCustom Objects