Alamitos Trailhead / Serpent Lake Tr.

Alamitos Trailhead / Serpent Lake Tr.

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.05500°N / 105.562°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


After reaching the Alamitos Trailhead things get a little confusing. There are many logging roads and trails that criss-cross the area. Cross the creek and continue walking down the gravel road. There are several nice camping spots immediately to your right. DO NOT TURN RIGHT AND HIKE DOWN THE MOUNTAIN. Stay on the gravel road until it appears to end. There is a trail marker post which has been newly repaired which points you to the left onto Serpent Lake Trail.

Route Description


After finding the beggining of the trail, continue across several water bars and begin hiking up the wide well established path. There are no real surprises for a few miles. You will climb a couple of switch backs on this portion of trail, but nothing to strenuous. A few miles into the hike you will reach a Y in the trail, the right hand trail leads you to Serpent Lake, the trail's namesake. You will want to follow the trail to the left. After following more switchbacks you should be nearing the treeline. After you leave the treeline and climb some more switchbacks, Serpent Lake should appear below you to the right. Continue following this trail until you reach a saddle with a sign that reads "Serpent Lake -> and Angustura C.G. ->" From here you should see the jagged Truchas and Trampas peaks off to your left. This is the intersection point of Serpent Lake Trail and the Skyline Divide Trail. The Skyline Divide Trail is overgrown and difficult to see at this point, but you want to head North, or to your right as you walked up to the sign. You will be basically traversing the backside of the "false-summit" which you just climbed around. Eventually the trail will again become apparent, keep watching for beaten down grass. At this point you are within two hours of the summit of Jicarita Peak. There are two different false summits, don't give up to early. Follow the trail until it crosses the base of the last pitch to the summit of Jicarita Peak. You will want to the leave the trail and follow a well defined ridge up the south side of the summit. This is the most technical portion, possibly requiring you to put a hand down on a rock every now and then to ensure your balance. From the summit you should see Wheeler Peak to your northeast and Truchas Peak to your southwest, the number one and two highest peaks in New Mexico.

Essential Gear


You must have a map and compass on this, and all, hikes.
From May to November technical climbing gear should not be needed.
A rain poncho and other rain gear should always be carried.
I can't recommend winter gear, as I haven't climbed the peak in winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.