Alpina

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.37000°N / 22.14000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.5/5.6 (UIAA IV+/V-)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You follow most of the route Kaloskopi-Mnimata-Vathia Laka. In the summer you can take the dirt road from Kaloskopi and leave the car just 1:00 - 1:30 h before Vathia Laka. In the 1st cross you go direct (Mnimata), in the second slightly left and in the 3rd left (there is also a small yellow plate) and at the end you park.Note that the road crosses the path 2 or 3 times. From there you follow the path to reach Vathia Laka. Then you traverse the North Face of Pyramida to the right an up to reach the base of the route.

Route Description


"Alpina" is a 300m route that mostly follows the right ridge of Pyramida. This is the name of the highest peak of Giona mountain. The climb starts with a dihedral and after the first two pitches you reach the ridge. The key point is a little above the half of the route with the difficulty of IV+/V- UIAA. In this point you will find pitons. Also there is a piton in the first pitch. In the route you will find slings and cordelets and will be easy to recognise the belay points. In the last part of the route you can move together. Scrabling with the difficulty of UIAA III.
Generaly is a nice and easy climb with the view of Lazorema, Vathia Laka and Vardoussia mountain.
For the descent you follow the opposite direction of the route Pyramida-Vathia Laka-Mnimata-Kaloskopi.

Essential Gear


Helmet, one single rope 50m is enough, slings, nuts and friends (for summer climbing). Do not leave anything at the base because you will descent from another side.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GiónaRoutes