An alternative route to the summit of Monte Bestone

An alternative route to the summit of Monte Bestone

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.79887°N / 10.76716°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

 

A traverse of the hillsides above Limone is good as an alternative route to reach the top of Monte Bestone.

There is bus transport to Limone and car parks in the town however, the best approach for the visitor, is to arrive via one of the ferry boats from either Riva or Malcesine.

In the morning light, the sun will be shining on Monte Bestone, the town and this route on the hills behind.

Getting There

See main page for Monte Bestone

 

Route Description

From the quayside, make your way through the narrow streets to the main lakeside road (Via IV Novembre) Look for a bus stop with a tourist information office opposite. Take the road to the left of the tourist information office (Via Cardogna) and take the first right turn on to the Via Milanesa. Turn left on the narrow, cobbled road and continue uphill. Look out for an old stone bridge on the left to cross the river. Continue on this track (path no 101) up the Valle del Singol. Once the buildings of the town are left behind, the track becomes quite steep but quiet.

Take the second path on the left to “Dalco” up the Valle Scaglione, (shown as path no 102 on my map). This goes up quite steeply and becomes increasingly rugged as you emerge from the pine trees and start to get views back to Limone and Lake Garda. Just when you think the path is going nowhere, you arrive at the top of the climb and find a clearing above the cliff to have a rest.

 

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

Continue along a slightly downward route onto path no 110 (ignore the continuation of path 102 on the right) through open grassy terrain and pleasant woodland. It’s possible to take a detour on your left at Dalco for a lovely view across the lake.

 

 

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

Back on the main path, the going becomes more open and rocky towards the top of the Val Pura, there are some cable protected sections at this point. Continue around the head of this valley and back onto a good path (no 268) with views over Limone, Lake Garda and the wooded slopes of Monte Bestone on the right.

 

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

Look for the path on your left descending the Val Pura, this will be your descent route later (path no 123). Keep straight on for about 200m and look out for the second path on your left, a narrow route that goes downhill. Enjoy great views of Lake Garda and at a grassy clearing take the steep path up the wooded north west slope of Monte Bestone.

This path is overgrown and not great but stay on it through the trees and emerge on the summit with fantastic views across Lake Garda to Monte Baldo on the opposite side of the lake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

To descend, retrace your steps down the steep north west ridge path until you reach the wider track. Keep on this and look out for the path descending the Val Pura back to Limone on your right. This is easy to follow but it is a rough, stony descent until the road is reached. From here, turn left and head back towards the town for your bus, car or ferry.

Essential Gear

Good walking boots, appropriate clothing and sun screen – if it’s sunny you will be in the sun most of the day. Water and food – there are no opportunities to buy any once you leave Limone.

External Links

http://www.visitgarda.com/en/garda_lake/

Map

Kompass no 690 (Alto Garda e Ledro) 1:25,000

 

Monte Bestone, alternative route.
Monte Bestone, alternative route.

 

 

 

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.