Aneto Peak - The Highest in Pyrinees

Aneto Peak - The Highest in Pyrinees

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 42.63110°N / 0.68140°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 11, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Getting There (Friday 9, June, 2006)

My brother Gabi and me together with our dad Suso, travelled by car from Madrid to Benasque (Huesca province). It took us 5hs and we arrived with a lot of rain.

Weather forecast for Saturday was pretty bad as a lot of clouds and some storms were expected. During dinner we discussed alternatives and after consulting with the hotel owner the weather forecast for the following 2 days, we finally decided not to climb on Saturday and wait for further news on Sunday when some improvement was expected. As we needed to return anyhow on Sunday we felt a bit disappointed.

Relax in Valle de Benasque (Saturday, June 10, 2006)

We took the opportunity to visit the area and regain the mood. First we approached the starting point of our route, “La Besurta” (1910m), to make sure we would not waste time on Sunday morning. Once checked we went to visit Cerler a small town which hosts a classic ski station in the area.

In the afternoon, we took a short walk from Benasque to Anciles, where we admired the old houses and the Media-Marathon that took place this same date.

Weather was getting better and better and we were able to admire the beauty of the valley

Valle de Benasque (Huesca/Spain)


Our mood was high again when we confirmed back in the hotel that the forecast was very positive for Sunday with no wind, no clouds, no rain. So we had an early dinner and went to bed soon.

D-Day (Sunday, June 11, 2006)

Summary: : La Besurta (1910m/04h30am) – La Renclusa Hut (2140m/5h05am) Aneto summit (3404m/09h35) back to La Besurta (1910m/13h20pm)


Recommneded Technical Gear& other material: Crampons, Ice Axe, Rope (facultative), Telescopic Walking Stick , Hat,Sun cream, Glasses, Liquid (1 litre minimum), Energetic bars


3h30am my clock alarm wakes me up. I take a look through the window and I see the stars – the best signal !!. I wake up my brother. Once ready, we take some breakfast and proceed to the road through Hospital de Benasque and then to La Besurta.

In the dark, with our frontals on, we depart towards Refugio de la Renclusa/La Renclusa Hut (2.140 m). Path is well signaled and when we arrive to the hut a group of around 10 people is already heading to the trail, marked with some cairns, which leads to Portillon Superior.

After a tough climb in the “roquedal” we contemplate the beautiful sunrise.
Maladeta Glacier


Then we proceed through the Maladeta Glacier in parallel to Portillon Inferior and Portillon Superior and then turn left (SE) to reach the narrow gap in “Cresta de los Portillones” that leads to the Aneto Glacier and first views of Aneto peak

Cresta de Los Portillones


Aneto (3404m)



We crossed the Glacier at a good pace and reached “Collado de Coronas” where we make a technical stop to recover enough energy for the final slopes of Aneto.

Around 09h15am we reach Paso de Mahoma/ Passage of Mahoma where some people are preparing to cross it with ropes. After observing how mountaineers negotiate the “blade of the scimitar” I agree with my brother not to use the rope to go quicker.

Passage of Mahoma / Paso de Mahoma


We cross this mythical bridge to heaven with reasonable diligence and reach Aneto Summit at 09h35.

Cross at Aneto Summit



We enjoy the summit for a while, taking photos of the nice panorama and we go back home through the same trail, reaching La Besurta at 13h20 (4hs later, making a total of 8hs 50 minutes.

We celebrate back in Benasque with Suso this excellent experience and drive back home to meet our families.

There is a key lesson learnt/confirmed from this story we would like to share with SPers:

“Patience and preparation paid-up”


And now guess who was Highest in Pyrinees ; ))


Highest in Pyrinees ?





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
steste

steste - Jun 17, 2006 8:58 am - Voted 10/10

Nice report Pablo.

Congrats.
Steste

pablo

pablo - Jun 18, 2006 11:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report Pablo.

It was fun.
Thank you.

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jun 21, 2006 4:25 pm - Voted 10/10

bonito día

en el Aneto, siempre bonita esta montaña especialmente madrugando como hicisteis para quitarse la gente. Enhorabuena. Nosotros hicimos el precioso corredor Estasen la semana anterior sin nadie pero la bajada de la cima por Mahoma ya había cola a las 12-13h. Me ha gustado el comentario de la "blade of scimitar", je,je has estado inspirado. Hay que reivindicar esta montaña tan denostada por la masificación, aunque sea levantandose a las 4 o 5 de la mañana, creo que sigue siendo una preciosa montaña independientemente de la mitificación de la altura y cuando la pillas sin mucha gente claro.
Buen reportaje

pablo

pablo - Jun 21, 2006 6:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: bonito día

Hola Rafa,
Muchas gracias por tus comentarios y valoracion. Totalmente de acuerdo con ellos. Es una preciosa montaña y efectivamente saliendo bien temprano todavia muchisimo mejor. Por cierto la expresion "blade of the scimitar" es de Diego creador de la pagina de Aneto. En fin disfrutamos a tope y fue nuestro 2ndo 3mil.



worldwideinfo5

worldwideinfo5 - Oct 21, 2007 7:25 pm - Voted 7/10

Good Info

Thanx for the info. I am heading to Spain in November specifically for Aneto (a trekker I met in Ladakh, India told me about it) so your notes are very valuable for my planning stage.

pablo

pablo - Oct 24, 2007 4:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Info

Thanks... hope you enjoy it , it's a beautiful mountain and environment.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AnetoTrip Reports
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.