Anyone for breakfast ?

Anyone for breakfast ?

Omelets are commonly made with the young prickly pear pads. Peel and dice, and cook in a skillet until the water starts to come out of the cactus. The bright green cactus will change to a dull green -almost tan- as it cooks. Add diced onions and the eggs, and serve when ready. Prickly pear cactus is commonly served this way in omelets throughout the entire southwestern United States. Huevos rancheros con nopalitos, for example, is "ranch-style eggs with cactus." You will discover diced prickly pear pads will help to thicken soup & stew stock as does okra. The peeled pads can also be baked like squash or pickled. Also, it has been believed in Mexico that eating prickly pear pads helps diabetics. Researchers are now verifying the value of cactus. Among other things, it helps the pancreas to produce insulin. ~Photo taken southeast of Payson, AZ ~ Jan. 31, 2008 ~ "I want mine with onions, please!"
lcarreau
on Feb 2, 2008 8:20 pm
Image Type(s): Flora,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 377830

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Feb 2, 2008 11:34 pm - Voted 10/10

You are making me hungry again!

That's sounds like a yummy breakfast! I never tried cooking cactus. I just never felt like dealing with the spines.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 2, 2008 11:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You are making me hungry again!

Well, we share something in common. It is
my job to make other people hungry. When
the folks purchase more groceries at the
health food store or supermarket, well,
it's suppose to be a BOOST for the economy.
Thanks for your kind comment and contributions, Anya and Henry!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2