Appalachian Trail Northbound

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.21300°N / 74.4434°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Wawayanda is located in Wawayanda State Park, in between Vernon, NJ and New Milford, NY.

Route 94 Trailhead: From Interstate 80.
Exit on Exit 19 (Hackettstown and Andover)
Go North on County Road 517
Stay on Route 517 untill it intersects State Road 94 just before the south base of Mountain Creek Ski Area
Follow Rt. 94 North in to Vernon, NJ
Continue all the way through Vernon and 2.4 miles after leaving Vernon and 0.6 miles after passing Maple Grange Road there is a parking lot on your right. Park there and head North on the Appalachian Trail.

Route Description

Start by passing through A.T. Parking lot.
At 0.2 miles you will cross a gravel quarry road.
At 0.4 miles cross the first of many stone walls with views of Pochuck Mt. and Vernon Valley.
At 0.5 miles you will reach the base of the steep escarpment of Wawayanda Mt.
At. 0.7 miles you will reach Annie's Bluff with limited views
At. 1.0 miles the final climb of the mountain begins.
At 1.3 miles reach the blue blazed, 0.1 mile Pinwheel's Vista Trail.
At 1.4 miles reach the summit (sign register if it is still there). The Blue blazed Wawayanda Ridge Trail comes in from the east and leads to where the old Appalachian Trail reached the ridge and a viewpoint.

Essential Gear

Basic dayhike gear. For winter bring standard winter gear.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.