Appalachian Trail (Sorth Bound)

Appalachian Trail (Sorth Bound)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.21120°N / 74.5304°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is for the Route 94 trail head.
Route 94 Trailhead: From Interstate 80.
Exit on Exit 19 (Hackettstown and Andover)
Go North on County Road 517
Stay on Route 517 untill it intersects State Road 94 just before the south base of Mountain Creek Ski Area
Follow Rt. 94 North in to Vernon, NJ
Continue all the way through Vernon and 2.4 miles after leaving Vernon and 0.6 miles after passing Maple Grange Road there is a parking lot on your right. Park there and head North on the Appalachian Trail.

Route Description

This is for the AT starting at Route 94.
From Rt. 94 (mile 0.0) head west crossing into a cow pasture using stiles. Cross the pasture on puncheon's.
At 0.2 miles you will cross railroad tracks using stiles.
Starting at 0.5 miles you will pas throught fields using puncheon's.
At 0.7 miles you will cross a bridge over Wawayanda Creek.
At 0.9 miles yuo will reach Canal road turn right and cross a bridge over a creek.
At 1.0 miles you turn left in to the trees on to a woods road for 25 ft. and then right on to a footpath.
At 1.2 miles you will reach the top of a small knoll and begin to decend.
At 1,5 miles you will reach the first streach of boardwalk over Pochuck Swamp, it is 850 ft. long.
At 1,6 miles you will reach the suspension bridge over Pochuck Creek.
At 1.7 miles you will start a 1,100 ft. section of boardwalk.
At 2.1 miles you will start the 2,100 ft. section of board walk over the swamp.
At 2.3 miles you will cross over County Rt 517. There is a parking lot here for about 10 or so cars and you can park here to make your hike shorter if you wanted to.
At 2.9 miles you will reach the top a small rise and begin to decend.
At 3.8 miles you will cross County Rt. 565.There is a parking lot here for about 3 or 4 cars and you can park here to make your hike shorter if you wanted to.
At 3.9 miles cross over a stream on a wooden bridge.
At 4.1 miles you will pas through an old field.
At 4.4 miles cross a dirt rd that leads to a youth camp.
At 5 miles you will reach the summit of Pochuck Mt.

Essential Gear

Basic day hike gear.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.