Arctic Ural November 1986 ski backpack

Arctic Ural November 1986 ski backpack

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

External Links



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Corax

Corax - Nov 23, 2007 4:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Finally

Finally an album with really interesting photos. Most of them are just images collected from other pages here on SP. This one contains only new ones and I find them interesting as they're from a place where very few people go.

crosser

crosser - Nov 24, 2007 4:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Finally

Thank you Corax and Ski Mountaineer!
You might want to also look at MOCKBA's images, he was leading this 1986 enterprise and many others.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Nov 24, 2007 10:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Finally

I am about done with my pictures from the region too, and have loose bits and pieces for the write-up, map snippets, such stuff ... but I was hesitant to use the album format because, as you noted, it isn't very popular on SP.

And it takes time to write things up even after all the research is done :)

But a word of encouragement from you, Corax, is a great stimulus to move in this direction. I am always fascinated with your reports on faraway, unknown places. I would list your Puna de Atacama among the most amazing pages I've ever seen on SP.

BTW there is a funny connection between this Crosser's album and your recent Xinkiang reports. It was on this 1986 trip that we've "poisoned" Anton with the contagion of tundra mountains ... and 20 years later he's become Russia's top guru on Kunlung and Xinkiang mountains in general.

Corax

Corax - Nov 24, 2007 12:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Finally

to use the album format because, as you noted, it isn't very popular on SP.

I think it's mainly because there are so many junk pages. Some are junk because they are not mountain, or even outdoor related. Those look more like family photo collections and in my opinion the Elves should have a close look and delete loads of them.
The other junk category is the endless stream of new albums with the same photos, but submitted under another label.
I have lost interest in the albums all together because of the above.
Crosser's album is unique and contains interesting photos. Then again, the format isn't the best. I would like to know so much more about this story and the album format doesn't allow that in a good way.

I would list your Puna de Atacama among the most amazing pages I've ever seen on SP.

Thanks for that comment!
It's an amazing place and I hope I can go back there soon. I had problems with my camera the time I made the longest hikes there and some very interesting photos showing more of the wildlife in the area got lost. I hope to make the page even better after the next visit.

It was on this 1986 trip that we've "poisoned" Anton with the contagion of tundra mountains ... and 20 years later he's become Russia's top guru on Kunlung and Xinkiang mountains in general.

Anton?
Is he an SP'er?
If he is and wants to have editing rights on the Kunlun page, I'll give it to him at once. I have traveled a lot in the area, but it's so huge I still feels I have many blank spots on my Kunlun map.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Nov 26, 2007 1:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Kunlun

Kind off OT for this album, but no, I don't think he participates in SP. There is a variety of Russian-language mountaineering and expedition skiing sites and he's got a huge bunch of publications in there. Just for sampler, here is a link to an album of Anton's 2003 trip to Kunlun, one of many visits there, the most recent being just last month.

Corax

Corax - Nov 26, 2007 3:07 pm - Voted 10/10

The killer route through the Kunlun!

I always go to the Russian sites if I want to check for interesting stuff. They are the real thing.
It's very interesting you chose the link to that expedition! It's the Pulu/Akso river gorge. Extremely dangerous and in some ways hard. Some famous mountaineers (they would not appreciate if I mentioned their names here) tried this approach and cracked completely. Sven Hedin the great explorer didn't make it either. Nadine , Martin and I almost didn't make when there in 2002. Rock falls and scree avalanches almost stopped us a couple of times and in the end the river was almost too deep to cross. Also, we didn't know what we had ahead of us, so we entered the place by bike. Really idiotic looking at it in retrospect. Looks like Anton and his team had luck with the conditions. If wet, it's a death trap.
The "road":

Some didn't make it out:



Some of the story here.
And the rest here

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Nov 24, 2007 2:34 am - Voted 10/10

Agreed

I really like the photos, they display this winterly, Arctic atmosphere well! The Urals have fascinated me for years, but I have not made it there yet.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7