Around Sukalnik

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35427°N / 14.60791°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: "very demanding"
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Around Sukalnik is the path from the Kamnik saddle hut to Planjava's summit. This is a "very demanding" mountain-hiking path (well marked, secured and maintained) which requires handling metal cables and pegs for progressing on certain (very picturesque) details, mainly when weaving in and out odd rock formations while crossing the large upper central gully (Wisiakova grapa) of Planjava's SW face.

Initially, the point of this route was the crossing from the Kamnik saddle to the Korošica meadow hut (Kocbekov Dom), or the opposite of course.

Getting There

Start at the Kamnik saddle hut. The hut access routes are attached to that page.

Route Description

Leave the Kamnik saddle hut eastwards, horizontaly (signposted Planjava, Korošica) and soon cross a scree covered slope before actually entering the Planjava wall. This is where the secured sections begin. We first traverse to the right, reaching a first promontory. Next a descent, and up again (loose, secured), which takes us out of a first gully. The next one is a proper ravine (Wisiakova grapa), most amusing (hairy rock formations) as well as thrilling (and secured with wires and pegs). We now yet ascend the uneasy upper left bank of the ravine (often snow leftovers) before attaining Sukalnik, a vast promontory (this is where the coordinates in the primary info show to). At this turn point we discover the vast slopes (Planjavske zelenice, the Planjava greens) of the upper Planjava S face, which we traverse. These south slopes permit us a quite direct walk-up (only one secured squeeze) to the main summit (signposted Planjava).

Descent : reverse, or reverse the southeast route towards the Korošica hut (Kocbekov Dom).

Note :From the middle of the S slope, instead of heading up to the summit, we may continue horizontaly (signposted Korošica) and gain the SE ridge. The ridge ascent (lefthand, marked) is then an option, another one being to reverse the southeast route to Kocbekov dom, the Korošica meadow hut.

Essential Gear

Helmets are not only trendy !

Season begin : a piolet (and maybe crampons) if there is still snow in the central ravine (Wisiakova grapa). Ask about the snow conditions at the Kamnik saddle hut, or at the Korošica hut (Kocbekov dom).


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PlanjavaRoutes