Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
visentin

visentin - Mar 7, 2010 3:16 pm - Voted 10/10

a useful

article !! perhaps few more shots would make it more attractive. why not for example attaching to it a couple of other user's mountain-cooking pictures ? (an example). That could be a fun compilation to make !

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 8, 2010 10:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

I will have to consider the pictures.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 9, 2010 10:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Margo Lasky?

So, thus the "Spalasky ???"

FOOD! GLORIOUS FOOD!

Man, oh man .. I hail from the Pacific Northwest, and that SALMON
looks good enough to eat right off the monitor.

The crowd I run with (here in AZ) doesn't know what good camp-food is - they're definitely going to have to heed (or read) your article !!!

But ... does the salmon come with a savory cheese sauce ???
OMG, great article, Stevie Wonder! YUM.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 10, 2010 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Margo Lasky?

Huh? Margo (Lasky) and John (Slattski), no relation except we have all climbed together and they are my test subject for my cooking in the mountains.

I knew you would like the food, maybe your better half or yourself can put a burger receipe on the Lunch Receipes.. ;-)

Mlasky

Mlasky - Mar 12, 2010 1:26 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Margo Lasky?

holy crap...you two been dissin me? I chimed in cuz i wrote the article promoting delta's album and we want to see it wildly successful..and splattski is the victim, i mean honorary subject of the attack. We Idaho Summit folks stick together...and not just on a mountain. And I'm not bossy...strongly suggestive perhaps...take that as you will. :-)
And who you? AZ boy? ;-)

Mlasky

Mlasky - Mar 12, 2010 7:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Margo Lasky?

well nice to meet you boy wonder...now that we have been appropriately introduced you may diss me at will knowing that i will, in time, fully return the favor. :-)

nartreb

nartreb - Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm - Hasn't voted

choice of oil

Most of my trail cooking is of the Class 2 variety, for minimum weight and minimum cleanup. When doing Class 2 cooking I carry olive oil for extra calories. I just dump a teaspoon or so into rice, pasta, and most anything else. It's tasty, easy to carry/pour in/from a small plastic bottle, and doesn't spoil (unlike lard or butter, which are tastier).
But for class 3 cooking, you are much better off with a different oil that has a higher "smoke point". Basically, the more clear and tasteless the oil, the higher temperatures it can stand without burning, which is important when you're trying to fry something in a thin aluminum pan over an open flame.

PS some very good ideas in the linked recipes, that definitely can be adapted to Class 2.5, should be well worth a little extra bulk for ingredients. Fresh dumplings... polenta...

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 10, 2010 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: choice of oil

Add some recipes, I want this to be VERY interactive and a source for everone to go to and print them out.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm - Voted 10/10

great idea for a page!

This page will be a big hit. For me, I hate to compromise good meals when camping, especially dinners. When camp, with our vehicle close by, we truly have great dinners. It will be a little tougher when packing meals around in the wilderness but great forum for that here!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 11, 2010 7:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great idea for a page!

Thank you

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Class 1+

Back in high school, I was reading an article in "Road and Track" about some guy who would cook on the road by placing a can of beans on his engine block, driving a bit, and then having hot food. So I tried that myself, and it worked. Not entirely comfortable with driving around with a can in my engine, I came up with what I call the Bob Sihler Special-- on a warm, sunny day, you put the can of soup, beans, or whatever on your dashboard and park so the dash will get maximum sun while you are out. When you get back from the hike or climb, hot lunch or dinner awaits, with no fire, fuel, or utensils needed! In colder weather, I just run the defroster at full blast for about 15-20 minutes and get the same result.

Friends and family laugh, but it's kept me happy (and saved me money) for years. And with some duct type or the right dash, you can "cook" while you drive!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 11, 2010 7:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Class 1+

Well we will have to snag JB and I will do the cooking...LOL

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 11, 2010 7:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Class 1+

The "can on the dashboard" works especially well here in Arizona.

We got the "cesspool of heat thing" going full blast, especially
during the summer months.

Is supper ready yet, Punk? Well, is it, Punk ??? ??

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Class 1+

Who are you asking if Dinner is ready yet Larry?

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Class 1+

I was asking Bob, but he doesn't want to respond to my comment.

Actually, I've been called everything here on SP, except "late for dinner." : )

Steve, what is the "average" cooking time for Dinner? I'm really
hungry right now, for crying out loud ...

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Class 1+

The Salmon about 15 minutes and that includes prep.

Smoove910

Smoove910 - Mar 14, 2010 10:49 am - Voted 10/10

Would like to add...

Empty Pringles cans work extremely well for storing rolled up tortillas.

Also, Walmart sells a tasty Fried Rice mix (yellow packaging) which when coupled with Minute Rice and the 'Mountain House' bacon and eggs works well: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Precooked-Bacon-Freeze-Dried/dp/B000SJP51C

I would offer recipes for fresh Cutthroat Trout, but anyone who knows me also can state I cannot catch a fish to save my life, (even if I am at the hatchery!)

Lastly, the Boboli pizza sauce packets work well for spaghetti sauce. The precooked chicken breast pieces (sold at Albertson's only) work well together with pasta and the sauce to make a tasty dinner!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 14, 2010 12:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Would like to add...

Well Kris, you need to come with us, you would eat like a king. I will keep inviting and hopefully one day, you will accept. On that day, you will eat like a king at camp

ArankaP

ArankaP - Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album

Now I see how easy we vegetarians have it. No worries about meat frozen/dry ....

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great album

Ha Ha buddy, you can just eat plants and weeds, wait, not in the snow you cant.

Lots of stuff you can cook and eat- really no limit except maybe Dutch Oven cooking!

Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
Return to 'Cooking in the Mountains' main page