Ash Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.50600°N / 110.279°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start walking up Forest Road 660. The road climbs gradually up through Ash Creek for the first two miles or so. You'll be in the trees down here, and there are several short up-and-down sections. However, you will manage to catch a few fleeting glimpses of the mountains every now and then. The road eventually turns into a trail. After about two miles or so, you will pass through a gate. There is also a trail sign around here indicating four miles to the Bassett Peak Trail 277. You will pass by some water tanks at Lower Ash Creek Spring. The trail begins to steepen somewhat as you approach the concrete box indicating Upper Ash Creek Spring. This is where the real climb begins.

Once you pass the concrete box, the trail begins to switchback up the hill. Continue up the trail as it heads for the main ridge. Once you reach the ridge north of Bassett Peak, you will reach a signed trail junction with the Bassett Peak Trail 277. Bassett Peak is looming over you 1.4 miles to the south. Start heading south on the trail towards Bassett Peak. The trail is somewhat level at first, and passes by some scenic rock formations. The trail then begins to switchback up the mountain just below Bassett Peak. For those who are interested, a short, steep, unmarked sidetrail leads to the B-24 crash site at the end of one of the switchbacks here. Continue up the trail to a 7,500' saddle just west of Bassett Peak.

Leave the trail here, and start bushwhacking east up to the summit of Bassett Peak. This is a steep, brushy stretch. There are a few faint climbing paths that lead to the top, but they aren't very obvious. Make the final push through the thick brush to reach the summit, where you can enjoy the views.

Hiking Distance: About 14 miles round trip if you start at the edge of the forest.
Elevation Gain: About 3,000'.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.