Aubineau Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.34640°N / 111.6778°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy class 1, Difficult class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Flagstaff take US 89 up north. Turn left about 10-14 miles north of Flagstaff directly across from Sunset Crater Rd. Follow the signs to Aubineau Canyon.

Route Description

Hike the Aubineua Canyon trail to the back of the canyon. From the back of Aubineau Canyon hike south up the ridge. This is off trail, 2000 vertical feet and up steep, loose debris, rocky terrain. Sometimes you'll need to use your hands for balance. It takes about 2 hours to reach the ridge from the back of the canyon. From the ridge hike up the ridge to the summit. This is the most difficult route up Humphreys Peak.

Essential Gear

In the early season you may need crampons. A hiking stick can be helpful for the descent. Or you'll be using your hands to keep yourself from slipping too much.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
callthedoctor

callthedoctor - Dec 23, 2002 4:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Last time I was at the top of Abineau...there was a sign saying something to the effect of Humphries was not to be climbed from that side...

Not sure if mentioned fines or consequences or anything....

Anyway....


FYI

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Dec 24, 2002 8:17 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Well, doesn't that bite, its an incredible climb and the toughest way up the mountain. Its probably closed off due to the tundra, same reason Agassiz peak is closed off.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.