Augerpoint Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

whariwharangi - Sep 10, 2007 1:44 am - Hasn't voted

Ruth Masters Lake Approaches

The stretch between Albert Edward's peak and Ruth Masters lake has some exposed and steep sections. The most difficult section is at the bottom between Augerpoint and Albert Edward. This section has some flagging and cairns that are really useful but the marking isn't consistent. There are areas where the route isn't very obvious and the way is steep and exposed. There really is only one way up or down over some obstacles. Allow lots of time for navigation.

The west end of Ruth Masters lake appears as a wall of rock. The route up is found on the right side of the wall, whilst facing uphill, and is currently marked with flagging (Sept 07). Once you've gotten above the wall then you can make that beeline for the top.

The start of the trail from the ponds down to Buttle Lake is marked with red crosses painted on the rocks.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 10, 2007 10:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ruth Masters Lake Approaches

Thanks for these very useful additions. Doesn't sound like much has changed since I was there last. I've heard that it's well travelled these days but it's a route where navigation skills need to be well to the fore.

After you get down onto the drainage divide below Albert Edward's SW ridge you go roughly north down a gravel draw - a precursor to Norm Creek. When I did the traverse, there were lots of flags to indicate the left turn out of the draw and the continuation of the route to the west. This was the only part of the route that I would call "well-flagged" and it's critical. Is that abundant flagging still there?

Thanks again for your very useful comments.

Cheers,

Martin

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Augerpoint Mountain' main page