Aylama Alpinist Camp

Aylama Alpinist Camp

Aylama Camp was an uncommon Southern-slopes outpost of the Soviet Mountaneering training camp system. With a possible exception of Aylama extention camp at Zeskho, the rest of the Caucasus camps were located on the North slope. Nowadays there are only weeds and ruins at the camp's site (zoom in on this location in Google Maps to see the mess hall, and the rest of the ruins beyond) We are about to leave for Inguri headwaters in this August 1982 picture. Lerochka, Loshad's, and Misha.
Dmitry Pruss
on Nov 29, 2007 5:08 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 361247

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Corax

Corax - Nov 29, 2007 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Camps

Nowadays there are only weeds and ruins at the camp's site

How many of them are left? I was told Bezengi is the only one. Do you know if that's true? Would be sad.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Nov 29, 2007 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Camps

I was under impression that Tsey is also functioning - although it never has been a pure summer camp, but also a winter ski resort base. Uzunkol in the Western end too, maybe others. You may always check e.g. at mountain.ru forums for details. BTW have you seen Kopylov's recent sad and beautiful page there?

dimitrigugava - May 30, 2013 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

camps

if you wan't to know more about ailama visit to zeskho.ge

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 30, 2013 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: camps

Thanks, Dimitri, I tried, but the website must be dead. Could you tell us more about it? And about yourself, you must be related to J. Gugava, the oldtime organizer of these camps?

dimitrigugava - May 31, 2013 1:59 am - Hasn't voted

camps

Your welcome. sorry, web-site is under constuction and soon will be work again.
In the place where ailama was there is Ruins of the camp, But zeksho is still working. if you don't know about zeskho,it is second camp wich my grandfather built near it. you can add me on facebook where i can show you page of zeksho in facebook and give you more new photos and information.
as about me i am grandson of Jokia Gugava.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5