Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Greg Enright

Greg Enright - Apr 24, 2011 2:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Story

Amazing how that jump up the boulder changed your life. Interesting how quickly you healed after the sutures were removed. I love the Moral of the Story: I don't know.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Story

thanks for reading and commenting Greg.

Cheers,
Augie

Sam Page

Sam Page - Apr 25, 2011 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

I don't know

The Oracle at Delphi said Socrates was the wisest of the wise in Athens, because only Socrates claimed not to know.

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Apr 24, 2011 3:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Moral of the Story?

I'd think something along the lines of appreciating what you have since you never know when you'll lose it, and making the best of a bad situation (i.e. still appreciating what you still have!).

It's great to hear that your recovery is going well. Thanks for sharing!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2011 10:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Moral of the Story?

thanks. Yes, this is an example of needing to savour each moment because it can change in a millisecond.

Augie

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2011 10:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good to hear you're back!

Thanks Ryan. Good to hear from you.

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice to see you back!

Great report! I second PellucidWombat in that it made you even more appreciate the times that you had in the mountains. often when I am at a very scenic spot I often will absorb the beauty because I know there may be one time when I will not ever be able to see that again. Good luck in your continued recovery!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2011 10:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice to see you back!

Thanks for your comment. You're right about absorbing the beauty in the moment.

Augie

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Apr 24, 2011 11:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Back to Baldy

Great to hear you are back at it and you are able to have the mountains heal your spirit. That must have been nice to sit on top of Baldy, I have spent a lot of time on that summit years ago and it is a great place to enjoy life. It great that the pull of the mountains can bring you back to the heights again.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2011 11:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Back to Baldy

Yep, Baldy is special no matter how many times you've been on top.

Sam Page

Sam Page - Apr 25, 2011 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Welcome back!

Welcome back, Augie. I'm sure your "impulse" to climb only increased during your convalescence.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome back!

thanks Sam. That was a great Baldy Bowl morning we had.

hamik

hamik - Apr 26, 2011 2:16 am - Voted 10/10

Tear

I remember when you first posted this, and every now and then, when I saw you on the forums, I'd wonder what was going on... I'm glad to hear this turned out so well. I partially tore my own achilles tendon at the tender age of 19 from cycling overuse, and it was a long, depressing time before I could use it at full intensity again. I would definitely have benefited from this article then. Thanks for the hope for the injured out there!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 26, 2011 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tear

thanks for your comment. I wondered during the year my wound wouldn't heal how it would all turn out, but I always had some foundational optimism. I figured if I didn't turn out "good as new" I would accommodate to whatever was not 100%. But I am 99% at this point.

Rick Kent

Rick Kent - Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm - Hasn't voted

I know the feeling

Thanks for the posting. I can certainly relate to this, having gone through many of the same issues. 99% sounds pretty good to me!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 27, 2011 6:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I know the feeling

Thanks Rick. Obviously, nothing has slowed you down!

Augie

bajaandy

bajaandy - Apr 26, 2011 9:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Comparing notes

I suffered the same injury in April 2009. Reattachment surgery 12 days later. Fortunately for me, there were no complications and I was back to climbing within the year. It is so hard to communicate the mental/psychological trauma associated with injury. I know exactly what you were describing. I would be depressed, but the optimist in me kept saying "give up a season to heal so you can have many more seasons down the road". I am thankful that you got the necessary care you needed to heal and get back into the mountains. Thanks for posting!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Comparing notes

Thanks for commenting on your experience. Yes, without optimism one could slip into the abyss in a situation like ours.

Cheers,
Augie

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Apr 27, 2011 1:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Glad...

... you're back, too. In the end it's the final result that matters. Congrats of hanging in there, surely wasn't easy.

Cheers, Guido

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 27, 2011 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad...

thank you Guido. Really, really, really good to be back.

Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Return to 'Back in the Saddle: My 14-Month Injury Hiatus' main page