Bar Canyon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.30455°N / 106.59378°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Bar Canyon Trail near the city of Las Cruces takes you on a 3.1 mile loop through the western foothills of the Organ Mountains.

Photobucket

The trail begins at the Soledad Canyon Day Use area at the junction of Soledad Canyon and Bar Canyon, providing a close-up view of the geological structures that make up the middle section of the Organ Mountains. Unlike the vertically-jointed tertiary granite that make up the sharp peaks of the northern range, extrusive igneous rock (mostly a purplish-gray rhyolite) form the uniquely shaped rock structures along the trail. The trail also provides a nice view of Squaw Mountain, located just north of the trailhead.

Bar Canyon Trail is open to non-motorized uses, including hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. It is also used for wildlife viewing.

Getting There

The trailhead is located 10 miles east of Las Cruces. From I-25, exit onto University Ave. Take the University/Dripping Springs Rd. East 4.5 miles to Soledad Canyon Rd. Travel south on Soledad Canyon Rd. for 1 mile, turn left at the fire station and continue 4.5 miles until the road ends at the Soledad Canyon Day Use parking area.

Red Tape

The trail is available year round and can be hiked during the day between 8am and 7pm.

External Links


Soledad Canyon Day Use Area

Wikipedia - Organ Mountains


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.