Barrett-Stoddard Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.19650°N / 117.6656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The traditional route to Stoddard Peak is via the old Barrett-Stoddard Fireroad. This road has some of the best views of the Eastern San Gabriels to be found. From it reaches you can see close views of the Sunset Ridge area, Mount San Antonio area, Iron Mountain, and even back to the distant Hawkins Ridge area. This area was burned badly in 2004. The plant life is just now coming back to choke out the mountain slopes with Whitethorn and Chemise. Barrett-Stoddard Road starts from Baldy Road and leads through the secluded Barrett Cabin area. Just after the cabins the road is gated and abandoned.

Getting There


Take the 210 Freeway to Basline offramp in Claremont. You want to head west on Baseline to the first light interesction, Padua Ave. Turn right onto Padua and go north, towards the mountains, for about 2 miles to the lighted Mount Baldy Road intersection. Go right onto Baldy Road and continue for about 2 miles reaching Shinn Road on the right continue going straight. Continue for about 4 miles, going through two tunnels and reaching a highpoint in the road, The Hogsback. Descend from the Hogsback to a saddle in the road and you will see a sign for Barrett-Stoddard Road on the right. Turn right and go to the right to the large parking area.

Route Description



From the parking area go to the north about 50 feet and make a right turn and head downhill towards the water and cross the bridge. Take this dirt road as it turns to the east. At the first fork stay to the left. Continue pass the many cabins and up to where the road hits the gate. Go pass the gate and hike up the road for about 2 miles. The road will hit a saddle with Stoddard Peak's summit ridge on the right. A faint use trail continues up and over a pair of false summits. The true summit has a triangle survey sign on top and a register placed by the LPC.

Rondtrip is 6-7 miles with a elevation gain of 800-1000 feet from the parking spot.

Essential Gear

Just the usual hiking gear, with sun protection, and maybe tick protection depending on the season.

External Links

For more information on the Lower Peaks List of the Sierra Club.

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.