Basin-Saddleback Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12110°N / 73.8867°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, with some Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS Class III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The route is approached via "The Garden" Parking lot.

The Garden is located west off Rte 73 in Keene Valley. At about the center of this very small town, when driving north on Rte 73 through Keene Valley, you will find a large DEC sign that reads "High Peaks Wilderness Area and Johns Brook". It is adjacent to the Ausable Inn on the left side of the road (driving north). Follow the DEC sign 1.5 miles to the Garden. The parking lot holds about 60 vehicles and a parking fee of $5.00/day is charged.

Route Description

From "the Garden" trailhead, take the Phelps Trail 3.5 miles into the Johns Brook Lodge area. From Johns Brook Lodge. Take the Phelps Trail (yellow blazes) towards Mt. Marcy. The trail is generally level at first and has some subtle elevation gains over the first 1.5 miles or so. At this point, you will reach an area known as Bushnell Falls. There is a trail junction at this point. Stay to the left trail (which is marked as heading toward Slant Rock). The right trail is the Hopkins trail that leads to Mt. Marcy. You should immediately cross over Johns Brook and notice that your trail markers are now RED. You'll know you are on the correct trail if you cross the brook within a few hundred yards or so The next 1.8 miles or so will alternate between moderate grades, level hiking, and even some short descents until you reach Slant Rock and the lean-to nearby. Pass on by and continue .2 miles beyond to the trail Junction with the Shorey Short Cut.

Go to the left and on to the Shorey Short Cut. You will almost immediately cross over a small stream. REPLENISH YOUR WATER THERE (using a filter of course) as there will be no other opportunity for quite some time. The next mile will bring you over to the “Range Trail”

At the Range trail, bear to the left to head to the summit of Basin. This section is very steep and much is over bare rock. About 10-15 minutes into the ascent, you will reach a tall ladder to assist you up a 20-foot section of rock that leads to tricky 100-foot rock scramble. At this point, the trail will level out somewhat as you now are on the upper mountain. Follow the markers up to the bare rock summit of Basin.

From the summit of Basin, follow the trail (cairns) around the north side of the summit and then off the east side. After descending steeply for a bit, the trail will level out and then climb up onto a knob that sits on Basin's east shoulder. After a level .1 mile or so along the top of the knob, you'll reach the final descent into the Basin-Saddleback col.

Beyond the col, the ascent itself begins right away and gets pretty steep before long. At first, you're ascending in the tree line but after 10 minutes or so of steady climbing, you'll reach the base of a large rock. The next 100 vertical feet is a rock climb. Make sure to spot the yellow blazes on the rock in order to correctly make your way up the rock wall. This part is not hiking so much as non-technical rock climbing. It's mostly a matter of finding a handhold and pulling yourself up to the next handhold, and so on. The summit of Saddleback is reached at the top of this pitch.

From the summit of saddleback, you will traverse over “both humps” of the saddle and then descent into the Saddleback-Gothics col. In the col you will reach the junction with the Orebed Trail. Go left onto the Orebed Trail and descend steeply down to Johns Brook Lodge. From the Lodge, take a right onto the “Phelps Trail” and head out to “The Garden” Parking lot.

Hike totals: 15.7 miles round trip and ~4100 vertical feet
Note
Most of this hike would be considered YDS (Yosemite Decimal System) Class I (Uphill hiking along trail), but there are several sections of YDS Class III (non-technical rock climbing).

Essential Gear

Full-day or overnight pack needed for this trek deep into the High Peaks wilderness. You will need all the traditional Hiking gear. Rope may be useful in some areas. It's not really needed unless you overnight and use it to "hang the bear bag". Good sturdy hiking boots and solid hiking skills will be needed for this hike.

During the winter, this already difficult hike will become only feasible for very skilled winter hikers. Snowshoes (with aggressive crampons), crampons, ice axe, rope, courage, etc. will all be needed.

To Overnight or Not to overnight?

It's really a matter of preference. As a day hike, it's a long day. The just under 16 miles and ~4100 vertical feet may seem reasonable however, one should take into account a good deal a pretty rough terrain (albeit on decent trails). Besides, there are 2 spectacular summits that beg you to allow ample time to enjoy in good weather.

This might make this worth an overnight venture, as we did it. We "Packed-in" 3.5 miles into Johns Brook Lodge area and overnighted in one of the several lean-to's in the area. We were able to complete the hike, allow for ample summit time, and added another high peak (Gothics) before heading back to our lean-to.

We packed out early the next morning. This, we felt was the best way to do the hike without rushing too much or physically killing ourselves with exhaustion in the process.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.