Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.83231°N / 120.05979°W
Additional Information County: El Dorado
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8340 ft / 2542 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Getting There

Drive up Highway 50 to Donner Summit and head in towards Echo Chalet, which is next to Lower Echo Lake. Start from the parking lot about 300 yards above Echo Lake Chalet and find the start for the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Route

Becker Peak Talking Mountain Start from the parking lot about 300 yards above Echo Lake Chalet and find the start for the Tahoe Rim Trail. Head southwest (up and to the right) on the trail. Under ½ a mile later stay right at the trail junction and continue southwest on the faint trail which gently rolls uphill. Stay on this trail for about a mile until the rocky outcropping of Becker Peak comes into view. It is a short scramble for the last 200 feet to the rocky summit. Talking mountain can be seen about a mile further straight west on the ridge. Descend Becker Mountain Peak and stay on the ridge or to the south side. There are signs of a faint trail at times but the majority of the traverse is on large boulders, sandy slopes, and through some small bushes. I did this traverse in shorts but would recommend where long pants as it is nearly impossible to avoid bushwhacking at times. From the summit of Talking Mountain retrace your steps and stay to the south side (right side) of Becker Peak to avoid having to climb to the summit again. Round trip was nearly 3.5 miles with 1200 feet of climbing. I was moving pretty good and it took me about an hour and a half.re.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

Add When to Climb text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.