Bernina, hiking and climbing

Bernina, hiking and climbing

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking

Bernina

I suppose that most people have never heard of the Bernina, and the few that have, probably associate it with sewing machines. However, in mountaineering circles in Europe, the Bernina range, or simply Die Bernina, is better know as a wonderful area in the south east of Switzerland. Especially Piz Bernina, the highest peak, gets a lot of visitors, but apart from that, the range is a lot more quiet than the more famous areas.

From 6 to 15 August 2009, we had a wonderful time in the Bernina group.

The first few days we hiked. No glacier crossings, no scrambling, just easy terrain, getting used to the altitude again. After that, our guide Hermann joined us and we started with the serious business. See the trip report for more details, this album is just to collect all the pictures.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Gabriele Roth

Gabriele Roth - Feb 6, 2011 10:00 am - Hasn't voted

may I give you a suggestion ?

too many photos for a single album ... could be much better if you split it in single valleys albums
ciao :)

rgg

rgg - Feb 6, 2011 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: may I give you a suggestion ?

Of course Gabriele, suggestions are always welcome :-). I'm still relatively new here, and I'm eager to learn what I can do to make better contributions.

I actually thought hard about your suggestion, triggered by an earlier comment you posted to one of the photos, and I do see your point. I'm still trying to understand the role of albums on SP, and consequently with what's the best way to use them.
Looking at other people's albums, there is a great variety between small, big, excellent and poor, thematic or geographical, so I figured, anything goes, as long as it's a group of related photos.

That said, I don't just want to make albums that are acceptable, I want them to be useful to other people and that brings me back to your suggestion. I realize that a small album is more easily browsed. More digestible, so to speak, and that's an important consideration.
On the other hand, making albums small could quickly lead to many, many albums and I'm not sure the readers would like that. I'm afraid that it would lead to the same effect as with photos: there are many great ones out there that nobody looks at anymore, because around the time they were posted they were somehow missed and did not get a very high rating, and with the large number of photos, it's impossible to look at all of them.
If I were to split this album into valleys, it would probably be four albums instead of one (for the Marotz, Roseg, Scerscen/Fellaria, and Morteratsch/Pers valleys). Doesn't seem all that many, but if I do that for all the albums I'm still planning to create, it would be a whole different matter.
Anyway, I shall make my future albums smaller and see how that goes. I'll keep thinking about whether to split this one up or not.

By the way, anybody else with an opinion on this, please feel free to chip in!

Ciao, Rob

Gabriele Roth

Gabriele Roth - Feb 6, 2011 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: may I give you a suggestion ?

I've been using album pages just to give further info or to gather "useful" photos that could vanish in the big mess of photo linked to a page ... that's why I made some albums linked (and embedded) in my Mont Blanc group page.
Album pages are good also to give small (but useful) info about a single valley or a small group of summits ... almost all my albums have been done with these criteria

ciao :)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.