Viewing: 1-20 of 29 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

SawtoothSeanNice List

SawtoothSean

Looks like my personal library... Great idea to create a list like this on SP.
Posted Jan 6, 2007 2:17 am

Augie MedinaRe: Nice List

Augie Medina

Thanks. It was fun putting together.
Posted Jan 6, 2007 3:57 am

HedUpGreat List

HedUp

I've recently read "Ultimate High: My Everest Odyssey", and have been wondering about some other books that would be as good....Now I know!
Posted Jan 12, 2007 6:16 am

Augie MedinaRe: Great List

Augie Medina

Thanks for your comment. Yep, there's a lot of great stuff out there.
Posted Jan 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Sebastian HammVery informative

Sebastian Hamm

It´s good to see what`s out there in english. I think I will test the books "Above the Clouds - Anatoli Boukreev" and the "Minus 148°". Sebastian
Posted Jan 16, 2007 10:07 am

Augie MedinaRe: Very informative

Augie Medina

Thanks. Boukreev's The Climb (about the 1996 Everest disaster) is also excellent.
Posted Jan 16, 2007 7:28 pm

Sebastian HammRe: Very informative

Sebastian Hamm

Yeah, I red it in german years ago. I can recommend you books of Hans Kammerlander, if they are available in english.
"Hans Kammerlander - Am seidenen Faden"
"Hans Kammerlander - Bergsuechtig"
Posted Jan 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Augie MedinaRe: Very informative

Augie Medina

Sebastian,

Thank you for those recommendations. I will definitely check to see if his works are in English.
Posted Jan 16, 2007 8:00 pm

lisaeNIce List!

lisae

Gives me some ideas about future reading material.
Posted Jan 27, 2007 3:08 am

Augie MedinaRe: NIce List!

Augie Medina

Thanks Lisae. We have to come indoors sometime and what better thing to do than to get right back outside vicariously.
Posted Jan 27, 2007 3:47 am

lisaeRe: NIce List!

lisae

Well, I read by flashlight when camping, even if it is just the guide book. Part of my preparations for a road trip include buying several new books to read while traveling.

I want to read David Roberts two early books. I read 'On the Ridge between Life and Death' recently and want to see how his writing has changed.
Posted Jan 27, 2007 4:10 am

Augie MedinaRe: NIce List!

Augie Medina

Roberts was pretty good in his earlier writings as well.
Posted Jan 27, 2007 4:17 am

DeanWhite Winds....

I met Joe Wilcox when I lived in Auburn Washington. He was trying to deal with the aftermath of the Denali tragedy and a book that was published by one of the Colorado group, Howard Snyder, In the Hall of the Mountain King (in my library). He was working on the book White Winds (no title then) to put forth his experience on that expedition as the other book wasn't very kind to him. BTW, I too am hooked on mountain oriented books, I have a ton of them and love every book. Of course, now Summitpost grabs a lot of my time......
Posted Jan 27, 2007 4:39 am

Augie MedinaRe: White Winds....

Augie Medina

Dean,

Thanks for your personal note. I have read Synder's book and somehow it slipped through my listing it. Seems that's it's easy to take pot-shots at the leader when something goes dreadfully wrong, but we put everything out there for people to make up their own minds. We're of a like mind regarding being hooked on mountain oriented books. Even re-reads of my very favorites long ago replaced TV in the evenings after work.

Best regards,

Augie
Posted Jan 27, 2007 6:32 am

EleutherosThanks for posting this page

Eleutheros

Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer - One of my favorite modern tragedies.
Posted Jan 29, 2007 7:38 am

Augie MedinaRe: Thanks for posting this page

Augie Medina

I've always particularly liked this as well; I've read it twice. Well put - a modern tragedy.
Posted Jan 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Augie MedinaRe: Rowell?

Augie Medina

Thanks for pointing out this significant ommission. I have read a lot of his stuff, including High and Wild with all its beautiful pics, and agree that his writing is very good. Just inadvertence on my part which I'll correct.
Posted Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm

TurboThere is a lot I need to read :)

Turbo

Thanks for posting this list. As someone still new to mountaineering, this will help as look for more to read.
Posted Jan 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Augie MedinaRe: There is a lot I need to read :)

Augie Medina

Thanks for your note. Watch out; you can get hooked on this stuff too. Enjoy.
Posted Jan 29, 2007 10:29 pm

TLPunaware

TLP

I wasn't aware of this list until you pointed it out.
Thanks. I'm always on the lookout for good books to read.
I've been getting into books about the mountains just recently.
It's great.