Big Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72200°N / 114.098°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log



Approach


To access Big Basin in the Pioneers first drive south of Ketchum on Idaho 75 and turn east onto East Fork Road. East Fork Road is well marked with a traffic light and signs. Pass the old mining town of Triumph, the road turn to dirt here. Shortly after the transition from nice gravel road to dirt, the road will split. Turn left here onto North Fork Hyndman Creek Road, (for the standard route you would continue straight). Continue on this road until its termination about 5 miles from the fork. You will need a four wheel drive for the last few miles.

Route Description


The commencement of this beautiful hike begins at the Hyndman Creek Trail. To access this trail drive to the end of the North Fork Hyndman Creek Road. After about 3 miles, or around the 8,000' contour line, a faint, easily missed trail heads south away from the main trail. This is the Big Basin Trail. From here, the trail crosses the North Fork of Hyndman Creek, which may be difficult early in the year because of high waters. The trail then climbs up a hillside where you will an old mine. Continue on this trail to the 8,600' contour line. From here, leave the trail and travel cross country northeastward across Big Basin. Be sure to end up on the east side of the ridgeline that shoots southward from Peak 11,442. Continue traveling northeastward following a stream occasionally heading for the saddle north of McIntyre Peak. From the saddle between Peak 11,020 and McIntyre turn south up the relatively mellow north ridge until reaching the summit.

Essential Gear


No ropes or axes required as this is route is fairly mellow, steepness wise. Bring a camera though as you will certainly be stunned by the beauty of this area!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.