Big stag beetle

Big stag beetle

A large stag beetle we found at Prague Castle in May 2007.
BCJ
on Sep 30, 2008 1:05 am
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 447834

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Sep 30, 2008 1:43 am - Voted 10/10

Dressed for battle!

A scary looking warrior!

BCJ

BCJ - Oct 1, 2008 3:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dressed for battle!

They sure do put on a show but are quite harmless as the pincers aren't functional. Nothing like hearing a loud buzzing in the dark and having one of those things run into you (that happened to my wife).

lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 3, 2008 10:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Dressed for success!

I can only hope that a gargoyle doesn't
descend from the sky and eat this guy !!!!

Hey, somebody HAS to ask the tough questions:

Is this species of beetle edible ??????

Larry

BCJ

BCJ - Oct 4, 2008 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dressed for success!

It was funny, he was walking right out next to the castle and a group of tourists gathered around when they saw my son holding him...a few of the people could not be convinced that he was real, even after he walked around on his own.

I'd imagine that they're edible, but I'll wait to see what someone else thinks of the taste before I try them :) They live for something like seven years underground as a big, fat grub (probably better eating then) and then emerge as a big beetle and mate and then die. I've read that some entomologists think that they never actually eat once they reach the beetle stage...the pincer/antlers are for duals with other males and aren't capable of delivering a pinch.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4