Black Butte Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.39960°N / 121.6345°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Turn off Highway 22 on the Green Ridge Road (5.5 miles west of Sisters and 2.5 miles east of Black Butte Ranch). Follow Road 11 north for about 4 miles, and then turn left onto Road 1110 (gravel) for 5.1 miles to a parking area at the end of the road. This is the Black Butte Trailhead.

Route Description


The trail is often crowded in the summer (about 80-100 people, on average, climb Black Butte in July and August). The trail is also usually hot and dusty. Follow the trail. After 1.1 mile, you will reach a burned area, with many standing snags. Follow the trail about 0.8 mile upward to the summit. This last portion of the trail is the steepest part, but it can be managed easily. Once at the summit, views extend from Mount Hood in the northwest to the Three Sisters in the southwest. You can also look down the mountain to the southwest to the resort of Black Butte Ranch. Round-trip is about 3.8 miles.

Essential Gear


Water is an absolute necessity. There is none available along the trail, and, in the summer, the temperature can top 100 degrees F.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.