Viewing: 1-16 of 16
rpc

rpc - Oct 1, 2004 7:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

nice page.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 7:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks.



I bagged four of the five peaks I set out to summit this week in Panthertown Valley. There was too much trail damage and downed trees for me to make the top of Cold Mountain. Very frustrating, but I got four out of five.

rpc

rpc - Oct 1, 2004 7:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

80% score ratio ain't bad :) .....for the past few weekends, our success ratio on peaks/routes has been "0 for 1 or 2 weekend attempts"....now THAT's REALLY disappointing!!

...hopefully can change that this weekend.

desainme

desainme - Oct 1, 2004 9:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done area where few have reported before. Liked the granite caps with the dry grasses. Is the Cold Mtn. at the east end of the Plott Balsams (I think that's the one in your pix) different from the one in the recent Civil War novel?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 10:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The Cold Mountain from the novel/movie is the one in the Shining Rock Wilderness. Summit is 6030 feet, I think. This Cold Mountain is near Whiteside Mountain, pretty much dead center in Panthertown Valley. In the winter, when the leaves are off the trees, some truly phenomenal views of the exposed domes can be had.



This Cold Mountain is one of the peaks that forms the bulwark of higher ridges around the central valley. At 4,600 feet, it towers about 1000 to 1200 feet above the valley floor. It, too, has some stupendous cliffs, actually much more severe than on the valley plutons.

It's not very close to the Plott Balsams, although there easily could be more "Cold Mountain"s. I haven't checked to see how many times that name is duplicated.



I very much wanted to summit that peak, but it just got the better of me. Next time, for sure.

desainme

desainme - Oct 1, 2004 11:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks Bob, I had only heard of the higher one 6030 feet at the end of the Plott Balsams and only surmised that it was the one in the novel. Didn't realize there was a Panthertown Mtn. of the same name. Looks like you had a good experience.

Scott

Scott - Oct 1, 2004 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page, but you may want to beef up the getting there section.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 2, 2004 5:39 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good one again. But why the blue frame? I prefer golden :-)

brenta

brenta - Oct 2, 2004 11:37 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good, complete page. Nice views from the top. Thanks for posting!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 2, 2004 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 2, 2004 12:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

When you add a route, this page will be complete. Good work so far.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 2, 2004 10:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 15, 2004 12:43 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

William Marler

William Marler - Mar 7, 2005 10:19 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. (not sure about the blue border..) Cheers William

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Aug 26, 2005 6:47 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Whenever I miss the old fall colors, I just go to one of your pages Bob. Have a wedding in Hilton Head in October, wrong end of the Carolinas for me. Cheers.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 8, 2005 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Blackrock Mountain' main page