Blodgett Peak from Open Space

Blodgett Peak from Open Space

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.95890°N / 104.9073°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 10, 2004
On the morning of Saturday, July 10, 2004 I set out to climb Blodgett Peak from the Blodgett Peak Open Space, a city owned property on the northwest side of Colorado Springs. I parked at the Open Space parking lot and started up the road to the water tank. Just prior to the water tank I headed left (west) up a user trail. This user trail eventually intersects the trail that was once the original route prior to the Open Space designation and the building of the Peregrine Subdivision.

This trail heads south and west up into the canyon south of Blodgett Peak that can be seen from most of northern Colorado Springs. Prior to reaching the actual drainage in the canyon (if you continue up the canyon you will come to a waterfall that runs during wet weather or during snow melt) I headed up the slope and eventually came to the bottom of the boulder field. To me this is the most fun route up Blodgett Peak as I love climbing boulders. The view back down the canyon from the boulder field is great. The higher you get on the boulder field the more vegetation and trees are mixed in with the boulders. From the top of the boulders it is a short but steep hike up to the ridge between the false summit and the main peak. The route up to the main peak from the top of the ridge is fairly easy as long as you pick a good route so take your time.

If you make the summit on a clear day the views of Pikes Peak, Almagre Mountain, Cheyenne Mountain, Mt. Rosa, Rampart Reservoir, Air Force Academy and northern Colorado Springs are stunning. The mountains of the Lost Creek Wilderness can be seen in the distance to the west.

Most folks in Colorado Springs know there is a vast forest to the west of the City, but you can’t fully appreciate it until you climb the wall that is the Rampart Range and view the forest from on high. What a rush! On the way down I backtracked up to the waterfall which was just a trickle in July but was worth the effort.

This summit should not be attempted by anyone who is not ready for a real workout. The hike is not only loose and steep in places but can be tough to follow at times so keep track of your route as you head up the mountain so you will recognize landmarks on the descent. I had a few minor cuts and scrapes from a slip on lose terrain. I plan on attempting Blodgett Peak in winter since I can see the snow conditions from my front yard.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Blodgett PeakTrip Reports