Blue Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 29.18770°N / 103.4064°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview and Route Description

This route, though longer in terms of mileage, requires less scrambling. The last 500 feet of the summit run are quite steep, almost 55 degrees. From the Ross Maxwell Drive, head up into Blue Creek. Follow the creek bed for roughly 1/2 a mile untill you wind around to the side of Goat Mountain. You will notice large black volcanic bluffs to your right. Your current goal is to find a way on top of these. The easiest way is to walk past them and look for the first small wash that connects to Blue Creek. This wash will lead up to the western slopes. Once on the ridge, avoid the Lechugilla and make your way south again along the top of the bluffs. To your left, you will see a dike running northwest along the bottom of the steep section of the peak. This dike is starkly more orange than the other rocks around it. Aim for the left side, and work your way up the long rock slide that lies in front of you. The rocks are medium sized, so they will move if you put all your weight on them. Slides can be dangerous for those below you, so climb with caution. Once at the top of the silde, aim for the top of the ridge. Again, watch for loose rock as you ascend. Once at the top of the ridge, head to your right and to the summit marker.



Getting There

Follow the directions on the main page, only instead of parking as near to the base as possible, park on the flat area where Blue Creek crosses the road. Don't park here if rain is in the forecast, you wouldn't want to return to find your vehicle several hundred feet down the creek after a flash flood rolled down this major drainage from the High Chisos.

Essential Gear

Sturdy shoes, long pants or willingness to get your legs cut up in shorts, a hat as there are no trees the entire way, and plenty of water. I would reccommend 4 liters, more if you are a heavy drinker.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.