Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Jul 21, 2013 10:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Great adventure Josh!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jul 24, 2013 4:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks Michael, you should do this some day! I'd like to return when the time is right.

anita

anita - Jul 23, 2013 2:59 am - Voted 10/10

Impressive

As usual.. Great report!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jul 24, 2013 4:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive

Glad you liked it! :-D

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Jul 23, 2013 7:44 pm - Voted 10/10

interesting trip

way to make the right call at the Spider-Formidable col, we went straight down from the larger gap and had to down climb some chossy nonsense.
why did you decide to go down downey creek instead of continuing over Spire Col to cub lake and the, as you know, not really that bad bushwhack?

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jul 24, 2013 4:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: interesting trip

I wanted to go over the Spire col. But Eric was tired of climbing over mountain passes and wanted to get out of the mountains as soon as possible. I knew that going solo the standard way would be way to hazardous for both of us. Eric wouldn't have had a rope for the rappel, I could have had to travel on glacier unroped and go over a cornice. We could have tried to figure something out or go for the Dana Col but again, he felt that he had enough. I can't say I blame him.

The bushwhack down Bachelor was friendly, almost non existent. I wish it was like that going down. But we made the best of it and got a good adventure out of it.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Dang!

I've always wanted to do the ptarmigan traverse, but after reading this I'm having second thoughts... sounds like the last couple days were terrible! lol, I'm glad you made it back ok and that your legs and feet weren't worse off then they were! Excellent report!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jul 24, 2013 4:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dang!

Thanks Aaron. I was happy to have waited. The bad weather, limited time, and taking the wrong exit contributed to it being an epic adventure. I certainly recommend going when you feel ready. What ever you do, don't take the upper Downey creek drainage.

markhyams

markhyams - Jul 29, 2013 8:49 am - Hasn't voted

Shwack!!

Well done on surviving the bushwhack down Downey creek. Bushwhacking in the Cascades is possibly the hardest thing to do in that range (or anywhere). It makes glacier travel seem easy and straighforward! My buddy and I also wanted to bail at White Rock Lakes, and we decided to go down West Agnes Creek and try and hook up with the PCT, which was a terrible idea. We got trapped by raging glacial melt creeks and slide alder and had to be helicoptered out.

Dana glacier and Spire col look so steep from White Rock Lakes, especially after being so tired and mentally exhausted. Every time I think about that trip, I think, "we should've taken a rest day," and just gone over the Dana Glacier. Looking back at photos and maps, it's no steeper than the stuff we had already gone over, like that steep descent from Spider-Formidable col and the descent to White Rock Lakes. And even going up LeConte glacier.

Anyway, that helicopter ride is the low point of my mountaineering career, but calling for help did seem to be the right decision. The guys who rescued us told us that if we hadn't gotten trapped, it would've taken a week to navigate all the deadfall and brush to get back to the PCT. Apparently the trail shown on the map up West Agnes Creek from the PCT hasn't existed for years.

Lesson learned. No bushwhacking in the Cascades, especially going DOWN unknown terrain!

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Booyah! Having a Ball on the Ptarmigan Traverse' main page