Boreas Pass Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.40620°N / 105.9487°W
Additional Information Route Type: Off Trail Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Boreas Pass Trailhead

From the town of Breckenridge, drive to the south side of town. Near the Conoco station, turn East onto the Boreas Pass Road. It is well marked.

Drive 3.5 miles to an obvious parking area where the road turns to dirt. This is the site of the Winter closure. The Boreas Pass Road closes the first Monday of November, and typically re-opens in mid to late Spring.

If the gate is open, you can drive 6 more miles to the summit of Boreas Pass. This dirt road is well maintained, and is accessible by 2WD vehicles when it is dry. If the road is wet or snowy, you will want 4WD. There is ample parking at the Boreas Pass summit.

Route Description


Refer to the TOPO and route photos below for the following text.

From the summit of Boreas Pass, hike past the huts and aim for the ridge between Boreas Mountain and Bald Mountain. You should be able to see Point 12,815 from the road. Aim generally for the right side of this bump as you hike up to the ridge. There is a faint use trail on this slope that will ease your upward progress. It follows the path of least resistance over grassy slopes through the loose rocks. Once you gain the ridge, take a moment to walk to the edge and take in this beautiful view.

After you bypass Point 12,815, the rest of the route will be visible ahead of you. Boreas Mountain has an odd-looking trough on its summit. Enter the trough on use trails. The best trail skirts the right side of the trough. Continue until you can see the actual summit ridge, which only becomes visible once you are halfway up the trough. Gain the summit ridge and walk to the summit.


Route Stats:

From Boreas Pass Summit
Round Trip Mileage: 3 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,700 feet


From Winter/Spring Road Closure
Round Trip Mileage: 15 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,000 feet






This route photo shows the path of least resistance from Boreas Pass. The red line follows a use trail


This route photo shows the remainder of the route from near Point 12,815 through the "trough." The summit is not visible.

Essential Gear


For summer, hiking gear only. Winter and Spring will require appropriate gear for those seasons. Traveling the Boreas Pass road during snow season will be much aided by cross country or Randonee skis. This area is popular with snowmobiles, so you might find the road packed down.
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.