Bretton Woods

Bretton Woods

Looking east to the west slope of the Presidential Range from Bretton Woods, the peaks from the left are Jefferson, Clay, Washington, Monroe, Franklin, rounded Eisenhower and Pierce. The text on the north side of the New Hampshire Historic Marker at this site reads: "Mount Washington Hotel The Mount Washington Hotel, the large building to the east, is the culminating achievement of the creators of the Bretton Woods area. Conceived by Mr. Joseph Stickney, a wealthy railroad magnate, it was built in 1902 in a grand manner to attract the fashionable and the rich. A magnificent structure in a spectacular setting, the Mount Washington Hotel has been host to presidents, royalty, and scores of celebrities. In its heyday, fifty-seven trains a day brought carloads of people, great and humble, to this resort rivaling Newport, Saratoga, and Bar Harbor." The text on the south side of the marker reads: "Bretton Woods Monetary Conference In 1944 the United States government chose the Mount Washington Hotel as the site for a gathering of representatives from 44 countries. This was to be the famed Bretton Woods Monetary Conference. The Conference established the World Bank, set the gold standard at $35.00 an ounce, and chose the American dollar as the backbone of international exchange. The meeting provided the world with a badly needed post war currency stability."
sunfish
on Jul 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 425735

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
PAROFES

PAROFES - Aug 30, 2010 8:00 pm - Voted 10/10

just

perfect. That's it.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1