Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 37.68110°N / 112.83140°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 28, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling

Brian Head Peak

This was my 1st ascent of a peak in snow. I came up to Brian Head Ski area with my mountaineers club. I did some snow shoeing on Friday, Skied on Saturday. I was going to ski again on Sunday (Jan 28, 2007) but no one else was going to and some wanted to hike up to Brian Head Peak so I decided to save the cost of the lift ticket.



We drove up to the Cedar Breaks parking area. Starting elevation was about 10,420 feet. Two people in our group snow shoed there way to the summit. I and another hiker hiked to the summit. We crossed the highway and followed the road (covered in snow) down to where the road turned to go up to the. This road was used by cross country skiers and snow mobiles as well. This was about 1/2 mile.



Next we followed the road up along the SW side of the peak. We then followed the Brian Head Peak Road up to the south ridge where it started to go up to the summit. We then hiked up to the summit. The snow was mostly packed. There was about half a dozen spots though where I sunk knee deep in the snow.




Once we got close to the summit it got very cold and windy. Wind chills had to be below 0ºF. I went over and took some pictures of the Brian Head Summit sign, some of the views, and a few others. I would have set up my tripod to get more photos but it was too cold. It was about 1.5 miles to the summit.




On the route down I got some more photos. Once I got down past the 2nd ridge I noticed a lot of smooth land down to the road. I decided to slide down the mountain. I slid down about 100 yards or so. It was very fun. Once we got back to the parking area the other people in our group decided to snow shoe today. Three of us waited for them to return. We then started our return trip back to Las Vegas.




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Brian Head PeakTrip Reports