Buckeye Copper Well

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.16700°N / 112.885°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Mostly Class 2.
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, walk up the primitive road as it gradually climbs up towards Woolsey Peak. The prominent Point 2030 is just off to your right here. After a mile or so, the road ends and the route steepens. You will see an obvious bajada off to your right on the north side of the mountain. Start heading up and to the right towards the bajada. You’ll have to cross a fence and a drainage or two to get there. The ground is strewn with large black lava boulders. Woolsey Peak is towering above you at this point.

Once you get to the base of the bajada, start climbing straight up it over large black boulders. Once you get to the very top of it, climb up through the gap in the cliffs here. The route is rugged and steep above the bajada, but it’s not very difficult. Once you’re above the bajada, there are a number of different routes to choose from. It really doesn’t matter which one you pick – they’re pretty much all the same. There’s loose rock and some small cliff bands that you may have to climb over depending on your route. Push on to the large, flat summit, where you can enjoy the views.


Hiking Distance: About 6 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,000’.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.